Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Questions about specific products

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about specific products
twobluestripes
Neophyte
Member # 30689

Icon 5 posted      Profile for twobluestripes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever used the Strawberry Flavored Astroglide? I'm assuming that it's meant for both oral and intercourse. Also, I'm wondering about the flavored Durex condoms. (I was thinking about buying strawberry to match the Astroglide.) Do they taste okay? Or kind of gross? Also, are they okay to use for intercourse? It didn't say on the website if they had sugar in them. I just want to know if anyone here has tried these and what they think. I'd like to be able to buy only one bottle of lube. (I think I'll buy regular condoms anyway, not just flavored.)
Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd opt to keep anything potentially sugary or flavored away from the vagina. That just seems to be asking for a yeast infection or other nasty something-or-rather.

I haven't tried any kind of flavored lube, but I'd say that if you plan to use condoms for intercourse, it might be more economical to buy regular condoms and simply add flavored stuff for oral sex. (Good for you for being so committed to safe play! [Smile] )

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the Astroglide website, it actually appears they intend the flavored Astroglide to be appropriate to use for intercourse, not just for oral/etc. If you're just wanting to buy a single bottle to use during oral sex and intercourse, it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

The Strawberry Flavoring and Aspartame (as listed in the ingredients) could be an issue to some users, however, so if you do ever use it for intercourse, just be aware if you have any reactions (itching/irritation/developing an infection/etc.) while using it.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobluestripes
Neophyte
Member # 30689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobluestripes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like good advice. I'll be getting normal condoms for sure.

That leads me to a new question: I've heard that people often complain that Kimono Ultrathins don't have enough lube on them already, and I know that you're not supposed to used pre-lubed condoms for oral. So does anyone know if it's okay to use Kimonos for oral? I would put a bit of flavored lube on, as suggested by Miss Lauren.

Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twobluestripes
Neophyte
Member # 30689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twobluestripes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks dailicious, that is really helpful. It's good to know there's some quality products like this that can be fun too, without having to buy a bunch of different kinds for different activities.
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, MOST (if not all) lubricated condoms are not going to have enough lubricant on them to withstand intercourse. This goes for Trojans, Durex, Kimono, you name it. Using extra lubrication will not only make penetration much more comfortable, it will also greatly help reduce the risk of condom breakage.

So yes, Kimonos are fine to use for oral sex (any condoms are fine to use for oral sex, the lubricants on them aren't going to be harmful if ingested if they're lubricated at all, most plain lubricants are just not... great tasting).

(And since you wanted personal opinion, of all the condoms I'd ever used, Kimonos were far above and beyond my absolute favorite. Most comfortable for both myself and my partner at the time, and never had any troubles with them breaking.)

[ 09-13-2006, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.