Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring and refrigeration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring and refrigeration
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey everyone. I just got NuvaRing from my university's student health office. They told me that i had to keep it refrigerated or else it will expire much faster, whereas the Nuvaring website stated that it can be kept at room temp. Has anyone else been told that they need to keep it refrigerated? thanks

--------------------
If IFs and BUTs were Candy and Nuts, life would be a party!

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can someone either delete this or move it to sex basics and sexual health? i would really appreciate an answer and it wont let me delete it myself/i dont want to double post. thanks so much!

--------------------
If IFs and BUTs were Candy and Nuts, life would be a party!

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this got lost in the shuffle.

Per the refrigeration issue, a lot of pharmacists indicate that the ring should be stored in the fridge - however, I'm not finding any information to show that if you don't it will lower the effectiveness of the hormones. At this point, don't worry that the effectiveness might be compromised by not refrigerating the ring, but it might be worth a call to your pharmacist to ask how refrigeration makes a difference.

(Sorry I can't give you more info than that - I'll keep digging and if I come up with anything else, I'll add it here.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this hasn't been answered! (And it's probably a more appropriate topic for this area of the boards, it's just likely no one knows the definite answer for you which is why the question hadn't been answered yet).

Taken straight from the medical patient information for the Nuvaring:

quote:
Storage-To store this medicine:

-Store at room temperature 25C (77F). Temperatures can be from 59 to 86F (15 to 39C)
-Do not store in direct sunlight.
-Do not store in places with a temperature higher than 86F (30C)

Although it does not say anything about storing the ring in temperatures below 59F, a typical refridgerator is usually kept under 40F, so I'd actually think it would be advisable to not store the NuvaRing in a refridgerator, and instead to keep it in a room-temperature atmosphere like advised. Temperature can have a negative affect on the effectiveness of hormonal birth control (and a number of other medications for that matter), which is why temperature recomendations are usually included in patient information. [Smile]

Also, the expiration date of hormonal birth control is pretty much set, it's best to not use it outside the expiration dates period, regardless of where you had it stored. Plus, it's likely you'd be using the Ring well enough before it expired for it not to be an issue to begin with. So, I wouldn't worry about it, and I'd stick to the patient info.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.