Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Gynecologist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gynecologist
cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutiepie18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I had sex with my ex-boyfriend over a year ago and he is making jokes about having std's and I don't know if he is serious or not but I am afraid to go to the gynecologist because I have never been. Is that a private thing or not? I mean if you did have something would they make it a public thing?
Posts: 6 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a thing called doctor-patient confidentiality: in short, it's against the law for the doctor to reveal anything about your exam, your test results, anything. So, make an appointment for a gyn checkup and a full STI screen - it's in your best interest to do so annually, and it's well worth the peace of mind.

For more on what happens during an STI screening and gyn exam, check out these articles:
Testing, Testing…
Your First Gynecologist Visit

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutiepie18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go but I am very self conscious about people lookin at my private parts...haha. Do you have to have a parent go with you?
Posts: 6 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that vulvas and vaginas are what gynecologists see all day - it's their job, and honestly, to them, no more embarrassing than examinining, say, your elbow.

You do not need to have a parent come with you, but if it would make you feel more comfortable, by all means go ahead. It may be that they're not allowed in the exam room with you, but you can always ask to have a nurse present for the actual exam.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

Sorry for all the questions but if you didn't have a parent come with you they couldn't contact them, right? and if there was an std, which ones can be cured and which ones can't?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(We're here to answer your questions, and these are some great ones, so don't sweat it, hon!)

Like karybu was explaining with doctor-patient confidentiality, the gynecologist and their office CANNOT contact your parents, so the only way your parents could know about your visit and what's done there is if YOU tell them, or if you're using their insurance, your visit and any additonal tests could show up on an insurance statement (If you want to avoid that entirely, look for a Planned Parenthood or similar public clinic in your area- they chage based on a sliding scale, which means you pay for what you can afford and that way you don't need to use your parents insurance so they would have no way of finding out).

All STIs are curable EXCEPT for the following: herpes, HPV, HIV and hepetitis. However, Herpes is treatable to help minimize the amount of outbreaks you have; HPV, if you had a strain that caused warts, is also tratable to help lessen outbreaks; and while they cannot be cured, more advances are being made to help patients.

And, if it helps ease some of your fears, the most common STIs are the bacterial ones which ARE curable and most usually very easily treated.

Also, check out our articles at The STI Files for more information about individual STIs, and check out Testing, Testing for information about STI tests. [Smile]

[ 08-27-2006, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

Thanks to both of you for the help* If there seem to be no smyptoms then that usually means that everthing is ok, doesn't it? Do I just go in and tell them that I don't have insurance and that I want to pay so it won't show up on the insurance?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not at all! One of the reason STI screenings are SO important is because the majority of STIs are asymptomatic- that means that they may show NO symptoms at all! And especially with an STI such as Chlamydia (which is incredibly common), while it can be treated very easily, if it's not detected, it can develop into PID, which is much more serious and can cause infertility and other complications.

And yes, if you were to go into a Planned Parenthood (or similar) clinic, they will usually have you fill out forms to have your details on file, and will have a section that asks about your insurance, where'd you simply put "No Insurance" or explain to them you are not insured and they can go through payment options with you.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

If the guy had said that he had been checked and he didn't have anything, would that mean that the girl didn't have anything either if that was the only person she had been with?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

While it would be more likely that you would not have any STIs if your partner did not and you had not been with anyone else, it is just NOT sensible to go on someone's word alone (unless you're holding his STI screening results in your hands, it's much safer and more sensible to assume he has not been screened or that you cannot rely on his results), not to mention that some STIs can take time to show on an STI screenings, which means if he were tested, it could just be that he has an STI that hasn't shown up. Also, some STIs are transmitted nonsexually, which means it's just always sound to have a screening of your own.

So, if you've been sexually active (or, ideally, before you become sexually active, or are becoming sexually active with a new partner) - annual STI screenings are just part of good safer sex health.

And besides, isn't it better to have complete proof of a clean bill of health for your own knowledge and well being?

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

cutiepie18
Neophyte
Member # 30492

Is there an easier way like getting a blood or urine test because I am very uncomfortable with having a doc. look at me*
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really.

Not only are they (doctors) good for ordering blood and urine tests, they're good at visual (and other) examinations that are also important to your sexual health.

Its okay to be nervous. Many many MANY of us were nervous our first time too. But it is important that you go. Often times you can take someone into the exam room w/ you, if you want.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.