Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condoms at School

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condoms at School
twistgrl
Neophyte
Member # 30250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twistgrl         Edit/Delete Post 
How does your school hand them out.

They dont
At the clinic
Vending machines

The reason I ask is becasue I have heard in some schools they have put vending machines in both the girls and boys bathrooms. Is that common?

I think at my school you can get then from the school nurse or counselor.

Posts: 22 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, my school doesn't carry them at all, though I'd say it'd be a good idea.. One would think they might begin to encourage safer sex by now seeing as my high school has one of the highest pregnancy rates in the area, apparently.
Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some colleges have condoms in dorm bathrooms. I'd be suprised that many high schools would have condoms in their bathrooms, given the current climate about sex ed & abstinence.
When I went to high school several years ago, condoms were available from the school nurse.

It would really depend on the political climate of the state that you live in, and whoever's in charge at a local level.

Last year there was this REALLY fierce debate about installing condoms in the dorm bathrooms at the Big 12 university that I go to. Pretty funny stuff, seeing the way they argued about it.

[ 08-10-2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't any condom distributer in my school either. Maybe if I go to the school nurse but not in the bathrooms at least.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bitttersweeeeeet
Activist
Member # 25044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitttersweeeeeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to University and live on a College residence...

My Residence Assistant (RA) they're basically like a floor manager.. was also a student - she was in her 3rd year. She had this thing called the Fortune Box that had little fortunes (like the ones you find in a fortune cookie) and condoms in it.

She said we could knock anytime and ask for a fortune.. but if we really wanted a condom we could take one.

Also, at the Clinic in the school building there was a basket of free condoms that the nurses always filled up.

They were always readily available on campus with continuous "Condom Fairs" being held where they would showcase information, experiments, etc. Kinda like a school science fair but for safer sex.

Posts: 72 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have vending machines in the washrooms at school.

When we had Women's Wellness Day not last year but the year before, they had workshops that talked about sex and safer sex, little baskets of condoms everywhere, and even some people got a condom and a sample package of lubricant in their goody-bags (I didn't for some reason... but I did get a book about all the types of contraceptives)

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a Catholic school so no condoms are available at all, and they only recently started making tampons available. The church won't even let the school recommend the use of contraception so they have to sort of imply that it's a good thing, like saying condoms are the only way to protect against STIs but they can't say that because of this we should use them.
I can't believe how evil the church is about this - the last Pope visited Africa, saw all the people dying of AIDS, and made a speech telling them not to be tempted to use condoms to protect themselves from it. [Mad]

--------------------
ďIn a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I donít know what I am. I donít know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.Ē

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith54
Activist
Member # 27855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
smileyjoseph, I know how you feel. I went to Catholic school for 8 years, and sex was only talked about in a negative way, and ANY contraceptives were bad b/c they "interfere with the creation of life". Granted they are a Catholic school and have to teach what the church believes, but with such a potentially dangerous thing such as sex you'd think they'd atleast hint at some alternatives.

Now I'm going to a liberal charter school. We have pretty good sex ed. My teacher last year gave us a list of contraceptives, and this year she will teach how to use a condom. They don't supply condoms however, and the sex ed is only available to those who take Biology Honors and AP (eventually everyone has to, but it's best to know earlier). The high school did share a building with the middle school, but this year we get a new building. So maybe they will supply condoms and teach sex ed to everyone? I hope so. My biology teacher has suggested expanding the sex ed to middle school (and boy do they ever need it) but that doesn't seem possible.

--------------------
"My grandmother never gave gifts- she was too busy being raped by cossacks." ~ Woody Allen

Posts: 107 | From: United States | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm going to a non-faith college this September, so hopefully things will be better there. But seriously, this stuff with AIDS and contraception, and the rules against masturbation the Church has, are really turning me off. I feel like a hypocrite going to church. I still believe in God, and I pray quite regularly, I'm just hacked off with organised religion, basically.

--------------------
ďIn a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I donít know what I am. I donít know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.Ē

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Yeah, I'm going to a non-faith college this September, so hopefully things will be better there. But seriously, this stuff with AIDS and contraception, and the rules against masturbation the Church has, are really turning me off. I feel like a hypocrite going to church. I still believe in God, and I pray quite regularly, I'm just hacked off with organised religion, basically.

--------------------

ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my college, every RA has free condoms available, there are condoms in vending machines, there are free condoms in the student heath center, and every Wednesday they pass out free condoms on the main quad. They also pass them out at orientation and other special events.
Its very convenient. The day before I left to go home for the summer, I stocked up from the student clinic. I havent run out yet, either, which is nice,

Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I don't know what the policy is at the high school I'm going to this year, but I know that at my middle school everyone said that if you asked the office for a condom, they were required to give you one. My friends and I were going to try it once, just to see if it was true, but the teachers at that school gossip like no other, and I didn't really want my American History teacher thinking I was having sex...

Smiley, I think that's awful that you didn't have tampons available. We had vending machines with tampons and pads, but for a while they emptied the machines because people would take the tampons and have sword fights with them... O.o We got them back recently, though, so all is well.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Although, for those who might don't know, I'm a guy, and thus did not need tampons. Just in case you thought it would have been awful for me personally. [Wink]
But yeah, until we got this new full-time first aider who had no problems with supplying tampons, there were none available in school. And she left about the same time I left for my exams, so I've no idea if the new person makes them available or not. It was all the old first aider's 'project'. She's so nice - she gave me chocolates at Christmas! [Smile]

[ 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: smileyjoseph ]

--------------------

feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although, for those who might don't know, I'm a guy, and thus did not need tampons. Just in case you thought it would have been awful for me personally.
No worries. There was no misconception there. :) I apologise if it sounded as if I thought otherwise.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Don't worry about it, I was joking. In fact it made me imagine a comedy sketch or something where a boy goes to the school nurse due to tampon trouble. [Wink]
P.S. You know that episode of Hope and Faith where Hayley and Megan Fox's character (can't remember her name) convince Justin that he's about to start his period? Do you think that ever happens in real life? [Big Grin]

--------------------

feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Actually, somewhat relatedly, at my middle school it was rumoured that anyone, male or female, could come late to class without getting marked down if their excuse was "feminine issues." While I seriously doubt the truth of those rumours, they were amusing to contemplate.
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

My maths teacher has a rule that if you have an excuse he's never heard before, you can get away with anything. Well at my school there are some really large framed photographs on the walls. One of these caught on my bag, and it came down on top of me. The glass-effect thing on the front cracked, so I had to take it to Reception to be mended. After all of this, I was 5-10 minutes late, and of course, my excuse was 'A photograph fell on me'. [Big Grin]

--------------------

LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About condom availability - at my old high school, not only were they available, but in sex ed we had to practice using them. Our teacher handed out bananas and we all got condoms to use on them - and then passed around a box of condoms for us to take if we needed them.
At my new school, though, the attitude is much less open. No condom dispensers in the girls' bathrooms at least, and I doubt if there are in the boys. But fortunately we are informed about contraceptive options reasonably well.

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wise Janet Weiss
Activist
Member # 30392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wise Janet Weiss         Edit/Delete Post 
At my old highschool it was really a here and there matter.You know.
They just showed how to use it on a video and that was it.But since we moved from the highschool I just mentioned,I went to a different one.It was more out there.
They had condum dispensers,even vaginal condum dispensers and they even sold birth control pills ever Wensday.
It was very different.

Posts: 320 | From: South of something. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my college, condoms are in a big party bowl in the lobby of the Student Health building. The RA's in some dorms also have big flowerpots full of colored condoms outside their doors. Student Health also does women's health exams, and we can get free birth control from the Health Department down the road.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.