Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Depo-Provera questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo-Provera questions
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been contemplating on getting the shot lately, because I have the feeling I would be really bad at taking a pill. That and I'm sure my parents would freak if I got on birth-control (I know, as I've already had a no-go when bringing it up for period pains), so I was looking for something a bit more discreet than a pill packet on my desk, as well as something I didn't have to remember everyday.

But either way, I had some questions about it:

1. I know that the depo shot decreases bone density, but how well can it be avoided by taking supplements? I'm lactose-intolerant, so milk chugging's a no-no, aha.

2. Are there any medications or anything that lessen the effectivness of depo? If so, what should I avoid?

3. After 12 weeks, how long does it take for the shot's effectivness to decrease? Should I try to get the next shot immediatly, or do I have a slight window period?

And out of curiousity, where is the shot usually administered? I just kinda want to know if I should be prepared to drop my pants or not, ahaha.

Ah, I think that's all of them, and if you actually read through all this, thank you~ And even more so if you can help me out here!

Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should answer all your questions:

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/bcdepo.htm

[Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inferi
Neophyte
Member # 29171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inferi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, thank you so much~ It really does help!
Posts: 29 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.