Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Anyone Have A Problem With Trojan Lubricated? Also, Lube questions!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Have A Problem With Trojan Lubricated? Also, Lube questions!
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some reading around the site, and people are saying that Trojans arn't as good as they are made out to be.

I picked up a box of 12 "just in case" and gave my boyfriend a few to practice with. Thet fit fine. Where I'm on the pill now, when we decide to have intercourse, will going slowly even make a difference on what a Trojan can take?

I also got a small bottle of lube today... it's the warming kind... KY Warming Liquid... I'm going to see how it feels before I ever decide to use it... I know everyone on here recommends Astroglide, but is there much difference between the brand names and the pharmacy brands?

Well, I have somewhat of a safer sex kit started. Condoms here only come in packs of 12, and a lot of the brands mentioned here I haven't seen before. So far all I've noticed were Trojans and Durex.

And are lubricated condoms even worth getting... if you're going to add lubrication, would it make much of a difference it it were unlubricated compared to lubricated?

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In most general stores, you're probably only going to see the big main brands, and those are Trojans and Durex. Other brands that you see on the site you're not going to find as easily unless you go to a speciality store, and a lot of those you need to be 18 or over to access (brands such as Kimono, which in my opinion is the best I've tried, I've only ever seen in sex-specific stores).

The thing with Trojans on these boards is that we have a higher percentage of users who have reported breakage with them. For you, as long as you use the condoms properly, there should not be a large issue, as they are up to pretty high standards, there really is just more of a preference around the boards against them and in favor of other brands, because of comfort/use/etc.

will going slowly even make a difference on what a Trojan can take?

Condom latex is meant to be pretty tough stuff, so again, if you use them correctly the speed of intercourse shouldn't matter (obviously, extra lubrication is going to be a big factor in that as well, to reduce friction).

And are lubricated condoms even worth getting... if you're going to add lubrication, would it make much of a difference it it were unlubricated compared to lubricated?

Really, with lubricated condoms, the biggest difference in users is that with lubricated condoms, it's generally found to be easier to put the condom on than with an unlubricated condom. So buying lubricated versus unlubricated a lot of times just comes to preference.

And finally,

I also got a small bottle of lube today... it's the warming kind... KY Warming Liquid... I'm going to see how it feels before I ever decide to use it... I know everyone on here recommends Astroglide, but is there much difference between the brand names and the pharmacy brands?

As long as the lubricant is condom-friendly and water-based, you're pretty much good to go. It might be handy to pick up a couple of different kinds to see which works best for you, as there are differences between brands and one may be more comfortable for you than another (whether it's a common brandname such as Astroglide or KY Liquid, or an off-brand type).

Honestly, though, ditch the warming liquid. The vagina is warm on its own, and for the extra money it costs it really does nothing that a less expensive, plain lubricant wouldn't. If I'm not mistaken, it's probably more likely you will feel discomfort with the warming liquid than with a basic lubricant because of some of the different ingredients they use to make it warming.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the reply. You've said everything that I've wanted to hear!

The only reason I got the warming gel is because it came in a small bottle. I don't know what my parents would think if they find me with a huge bottle of lubricant stashed somewhere. If I (or we) don't care for it, I'll try something else, and once it's gone, I'll try something else.

Everytime I buy deodorant, I always have to try a different kind of scent. Same with toothpaste, and facial cleansers and make-up... I think it's going to be the same way with condoms and lubricants. "Ooo, I think I'll try this..." I can be such a little kid when I want to be [Wink]

Edit: I tried it... I could only really feel it when it was on the back of my hand. I got my boyfriend to try it on his hand, and he couldn't really feel anything.

[ 07-05-2006, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: ScarcelyHeard ]

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.