Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth control taken before sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control taken before sex?
HyperHorsegirl
Neophyte
Member # 24837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HyperHorsegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, my boyfriend and I are planning a little trip and plan on having sex. Neither of us are virgins or have STDs, and we have a stable, trusting relationship. We want to be VERY careful because neither one of us could support a child at this time. We could abstain, but we don't want to. So, he and I want to be well prepared for our trip. He wants stuff for him and for me. Condoms for him and some sort of birth control for me. He's talking about a kind of bc that you can take 36 hours before having sex and it will be effective. I have no way of getting a prescription for bc at this time and our trip may be too soon for it to be very effective anyway. Does this sort of pill exist? or is he just thinking of EC and the 36-72 hours AFTER? Any information on this or other methods of birth control that could help us would be appreciated.

Kristen (and Justin)

Posts: 17 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are no pills like that. And frankly, taking EC as a form of birth control is silly. It's hard on a woman's body. EC is a concentrated dose of hormones, and that's going to mess with your body.

Condoms, when used consistently and correctly, offer plenty of protection. There are other barrier methods, like the diaphragm, which offer an additional layer of protection.

Why are you unable to get a perscription for BC?

Also, check out these articles; they'll be of great use for you two:

A Simple Condom Primer
Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland: An easy chart of your birth control options
Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist
First Intercourse 101
Safe, Sound & Sexy : A Safer Sex How-To

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.