Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I REALLY NEED HELP!!!!
ravengirl22090
Neophyte
Member # 27459

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ravengirl22090     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I'm supposed to get on birth control soon, but i have some fears...how do you know if it doesn't work? My friend said you still need to use a condom, because there's still a chance you can get pregnant, but how much of a chance? I'm a little scared, because I don't have sex often with my boyfriend, but when we do, he constantly complains he can't feel anything with a condom so I'm getting on birth control so we don't have to use one. But, I'm afraid, because we also have trouble getting the condoms and I'm worried we won't take the right precautions, even though we've been really safe, I feel we might get lazy if I'm birth control. So what I need to know is how do you know it works (like my friend got pregnant while she was on birth control because it didn't work) and how effective is it (do you nee dto use a condom)? If so.....what are other things you could use other than a condom that would help?
Thank You
Please Help!!!!!!
Molly

--------------------
Then look for me by moonlight, find me by moonlight; I'll see thee by moonlight though hell shall bar the way.

Posts: 1 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, until you and your boyfriend have BOTH:
- been monogamous (only with each other) for six months AND
- used latex barriers (condoms) for at least vaginal, oral and/or anal sex, AND
- EACH had at least TWO full STI screens with negative results each?

It's not SAFE or smart to have sex without condoms. This is the reality of the world we live in, and your boyfriend needs to deal with that. There are lots of ways to have condoms provide almost exactly as much sensation as without: using very thin condoms, using lubricant inside and outside the condom, finding a condom style and cut which fits him best.

If you, after all of that, still decide to add the pill, or add it now in the meantime, you'll need to be on it for at least one full cycle before you can be sure it's as effective as it can be. if you take your pills as directed, on time every day, that's not 100% effectiveness, but it's awfully close. If you don't take them on time or as directed, they can be ineffective or much less effective. For some folks, that's why they choose, even after safer sex practices, to still use a condom or other backup with the pill, because they're more comfortable using extra protection. Other options for backup after that six month period? You could use female condoms, you could use a dipahragm... talk to your sexual healthcare provider. You'll want to anyway to make sure the pill is the best choice for you.

For instance, if taking a pill on time every day isn't something you feel you can manage, you can talk about the ptach or the ring, or non-hormonal options.

How do you know it works? If you take them on time each day as directed, they work. There's no "proof" to this save not getting pregnant, but nearly all pregnancies while on the pill are due to them not being used properly or consistently.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.