Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The Pill and Breast Growth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill and Breast Growth
StrawberrySafeSex
Activist
Member # 26300

Icon 5 posted      Profile for StrawberrySafeSex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem that I am with my birth control pills.

I'm currently on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen, which is a pill that has changing estrogen from week to week. (meaning: first week is the lowest amount, second week is higher, third week is the highest).

The problem is that each week, depending on the amount of estrogen I am taking because of the pill, my breasts are frequently getting smaller and larger. For example, right after my period and starting my first week of pills, my breasts are at my smallest. At the last week, they are the largest. Now I'm not being silly, or anything like that, but it's true... that is, my breasts are simply more full at certain times of the month. Not to a HUGE degree, but I myself as well as even my boyfriend have noticed this.

And of course, with this almost week-to-week change, my breasts are actually quite sore when they're in this *transition period*.

SO, I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, either with the same type of birth control or a different one that changes its dosage from week to week.

I'm actually thinking about changing back to a pill like Marvelon, whose dosages are consistant from week to week. Simply also because, (besides my breasts being tender) my family history has a very high chance/risk of breast cancer, and everytime I do feel my breasts growing, I do panic a bit.

So yeah in conclusion, if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on this topic, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Strawberry

[ 06-12-2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: StrawberrySafeSex ]

Posts: 59 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actualy, what you're descirbing is something which is pretty typical to happen to women who aren't even on the pill.

So, it's possible that this may or may not even be related to your pills, but to your general sexual development.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrawberrySafeSex
Activist
Member # 26300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrawberrySafeSex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply, I think I am actually going to discuss my concerns with my doctor next visit.

--------------------
"Sex can look like love if you don't know what love looks like. It is trying out trusting & being trusted... 'I can give it to you, and I can take it away. This sex is me', you can say. 'It is mine, take it. Take me. Please keep me.'"

Posts: 59 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrawberrySafeSex
Activist
Member # 26300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrawberrySafeSex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 06-25-2006, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: StrawberrySafeSex ]

--------------------
"Sex can look like love if you don't know what love looks like. It is trying out trusting & being trusted... 'I can give it to you, and I can take it away. This sex is me', you can say. 'It is mine, take it. Take me. Please keep me.'"

Cdt
Neophyte
Member # 29086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cdt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I Started taking Marvelon 28, My breasts grew from an A34 to a C36 within three months. They've stayed the same since though, so I'm not sure why yours are changing, but its probably because everyone reacts differently.
Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrawberrySafeSex
Activist
Member # 26300

Yeah, I was actually on Marvelon originally as well, but then my doctor switched me becuase he thinks that the estrogen in it was too high for me; as Marvelon is usually prescribed for people who have had children before.

Thanks for your input, though! I appreciate it! And yes, everyone does react differently. Meh, what can you do? [Smile]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.