Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » do condoms always work??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do condoms always work??
A little whisper in the wind
Neophyte
Member # 28686

Icon 5 posted      Profile for A little whisper in the wind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dear anybody and everybody who can give me an answer. well my boyfriend and i started having sex last month and he's always used a condom not a problem for either of us. my problem is im a little freak becuase im scared of the condom breaking, so if it did would i know?
also what are the chances of me getting pregnant if im not on birht control, but we always use a condom and he's always checking to make sure its on good and there is not any breakage in the condom?
Please this is been bothering me for a while.

--------------------

Posts: 6 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bako! I'm from there. Sad, innit.

As long as the condom never breaks, and it goes on the penis as soon as he becomes erect, then you will be totally protected against pregnancy. The trick is you MUST follow all the rules for proper condom use. Your genitals CANNOT ever come in direct contact without the latex barrier.

I recommend you use some lube, too. That reduces the chances of condom rupture. You can buy it at Target or WalMart in the condom aisle. If you wanna know what that looks like, blow up a party balloon. Then pop it with a safety pin. Look at the remnants. that's how a broken condom looks.

anyway read A Simple Condom Primer for all the info you need on perfect condom use!

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neophyte
Member # 28686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A little whisper in the wind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you gumdrop girl i can go on with my day in peace.

--------------------

Posts: 6 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Subferro
Neophyte
Member # 28351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Subferro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I kind of thought that the longer a condom is on and the more going no, the more chance of a tear to form, so we dont put one on until just before, and mess around without one on. But your message says I should have it on as soon as I get erect. Now, when we mess around, I have boxers on and she has panties on and both stay on until the condom is on, so it seems like any direct contact would be almost impossible, but is this an unsafe practice?
Posts: 5 | From: here | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria319
Activist
Member # 19692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria319     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A general rule of thumb is that the practice is safe enough if fluids do not soak through two layers of clothing.

As long as lube is used, and the condom is on properly, tears should not be an issue -- during foreplay OR intercourse.

--------------------
"You owe me two lifetimes and a pair of perfect blue eyes."

Posts: 407 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind that you should always keep PLENTY of condoms around so that you don't find yourself in the position of having to ration the one you had, or save just one for only the highest risk.

If you always have at least a few handy, you can simply use one whenever you need/like to, and switch to a new one when you switch activities.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.