Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Placebo pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Placebo pills
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SOMEBODY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on the third placebo pill and have not yet gotten my period. I took EC twice this month. In the beginning and towards the end so I dont know if that would bak up my period. We are supposed to get our period while on the placebo pills right? What if I dont get my period during placebo week and I get it when I begin a new pack? Should I still take the pills as usual?
Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With EC it can take 1-3 weeks to have a period again, because your body's adjusting to the level of hormones. It varies from person to person.

If you don't get your period in the next couple of days, see your GYN.

Without EC, it's normal to go through some placebo pills without having your period. Sometimes I don't get mine until the 5th or 6th placebo, and will bleed normally for the first 2-3 hormonal pills.

You really need to make sure that you take your pill consistently. Follow the instructions when you do miss pills. Using EC twice in a cycle isn't dangerous, but it's not good for your body if you're consistently putting yourself at risk and then taking more medication that you would normally.

If you find that you consistently miss pills, even if you set an alarm/write reminders, then you should seek out contraception that's more reliable for you.

[ 04-14-2006, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SOMEBODY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not that I forget pills, but I was told to take EC because I was at a pregnancy risk twice because I wasnt finished with my first pack of birth control. I do remember to take them but I guess its the EC that messed me up. Thank you so much for you help kitka, i REALLY appreciate it.
Posts: 129 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, somebody [Smile] Just check in with your GYN, I'm sure you're fine.

The Pill is effective immediately, for most if not all brands. Once you take the first pill, you're protected against pregnancy. Your GYN should have told you when your pills would kick in for you- if she didn't, ask her more questions or find a better doc!

Who advised you to take EC during your first pack? They weren't giving you the right advice. You only need to use EC if you have unprotected sex and have missed a pill.

I'm guessing you don't use condoms... you need to use those too, unless you and your partner have been together at least 6 months and have been tested and are clean after that point.

[ 04-14-2006, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, kitka, your information is NOT correct there, and I'd like to jump in to correct it-

quote:
The Pill is effective immediately, for most if not all brands. Once you take the first pill, you're protected against pregnancy.
The pill is NOT effective immediately for a few different reasons: it can take your body a bit of time to get used to the hormones in the pills, and especially since you would just first building up the hormones it is possible for a woman to ovulate in her first month of the pill. Most doctors and pill packs themselves will recomend waiting a week when starting the pill to consider it fully effective, but we at Scarleteen recomend that it is safer to wait one full month before considering yourself protected from pregnancy with the pill.

One pill most certainly does not protect you from pregnancy, and you are not immedicately safe from pregnancy the moment you start the pills.

This is why she was suggested EC, especially if I remember correctly, because SOMEBODY's first risk was within the first 7 days of starting the pill for the first time.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Thanks for ur responses, I know wats going on now. So my period might be late because of the EC. Thanks so much for everything.
SOMEBODY
Activist
Member # 17368

Still no period! Im on the last placebo pill and I havent gotten it yet. I think it's becuz of the EC, thats probably making my period late. When I got the EC they advised me that it could make my period early or late. Im gonna wait till friday and if i dont get it by then, ill take a pregnancy test.
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good idea, SOMEBODY [Smile] The EC can definitely cause irregularities in your period or in this case, with your withdrawl bleed, so don't be shocked if you get one during the middle of your next pack, either (if this does happen, just continue taking your pills normally). It's very responsible of you to double check with a pregnancy test, as well. Hope everything goes well!

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Sorry about the misinformation, dailicious. And the same to you, Somebody. Thank you for correcting me. My GYN told me my brand of pills would be effective at the start - I've always used condoms, so that info was not something I ever questioned.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.