Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Who has come off the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has come off the pill?
sexyheffa
Activist
Member # 22649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexyheffa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am! I am sick of 3 months of depression! I found this site very useful as it shows how many women suffer the same things....http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/ and go onto the forums, the contraceptive one has many women saying how when they came off the pill they felt great (there are withdrawal things though)

has any one here come off it?
for what reasons?
did you have any withdrawal symptoms?

--------------------
xxx

Posts: 41 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on the pill solidly from 1983ish - 1992. I stopped taking it mostly because I just wanted my authentic body/mind back (and at that time, we were told that taking the pill for more than ten years could create dangers, given doses were higher then).

Personally, I don't recall any withdrawal symptoms myself, but for those who do experience some, in healthy women they should NOT be at all severe (though in women inclined to seizures, those may increase for a short while), especially given that the synthetic hormones in the pill are also actual hormones in the body, and the placebo periods while on the pill already induced a withdrawal period monthly..

If you discover you DO have any constant or intense "withdrawal" symptoms, call your doctor.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on hormonal birth control for five years, and I've been off for about six months. I didn't experience anything. For the first few months, my period still came at the same time that was set by my birth control. The last few months have been...interesting, but the period is still pleasantly short.

The very first cycle without BC had me in pain, because my back and chest looked like a mine-field, and felt like one, too. I notice more intense mood swings, but I can also warn others and try really hard not to let my temper flair or my emotions take over.

Past that, really, nothing has changed.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenapp1es
Activist
Member # 28071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenapp1es     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on birth control for about 8 months to regulate my cycle...which is wacky due to PCOS. I went off it when I changed doctors....and somewhat regret it. Like dark child, my period was regular for 4-6 months after getting off the pill, then went back to being completely irregular. I did gain weight when going off the pill...but then I lost 20 lbs while on it, which does not sound at all typical.
Posts: 96 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stopped taking birth control pills for a spell (just a few months). But it was enough time for my period (which had a long history of being excessive) to come back in full force. I notied changes in my cervical mucus. And i had the occasional mood swing.

no real changes in my weight, but I think my breasts reduced a little (not by too much because of this, though -- I had already lost some weight from exercise).

Anyway, when I started to get cramps (which I never had before), by coincidence my partner came back and I renewed my Rx for birth control.

there are far more benefits for ME to be on bc than to leave the situation to its own devices. that's for sure not the case for everyone. I think if the itme is right, then stop taking the meds to see how it affects you. Consult a doctor before attempting.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.