Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Lutera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lutera
lemonade
Neophyte
Member # 28113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just given the birth control pill Lutera by a doctor at planned parenthood, and I wanted to find out if anyone has had any side effects associated with it. I feel a little strange about just taking these pills that they handed me because they didnt do a physical examination (pelvic exam/pap smear) at all...they just weighed me, got my height, discussed my medical history, and took my blood pressure. I understand that doctors feel birth control pills are so safe they can just hand them out without a physical examination, but it still feels strange to me. So my questions are: is it safe to take it because of how they prescribed it and how have others here done on Lutera ( I understand that every one is different, i'm just wondering). Thanks!
Posts: 1 | From: Orange County | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it seems a bit strange to me that they didn't at very least schedule you to come in at a later date to have a pelic exam... MOST doctors won't actually prescribe birth control without doing this, even clinics such as Planned Parenthood which will prescribe the birth control since it's usually required right then, rather than waiting for when they can get their gynecologist in (a lot of clinics only have one gynecologist on call, who only comes in a couple times in the month, for example).

It's good they took the medical history, to make sure there wasn't any risk within that for things like blood cots, but still, it seems a bit odd to me and it's very smart of you to be hesitant as well.

What I'd suggest you do is call them back and ask if you need to schedule to have a pelvic exam done, and even state outright that you'd feel more at ease if they DID do an examination.

And while there shouldn't be a risk in starting the pills before they do an examination, if you want to wait and speak to them about it and have the examination done first, by all means do so- because what's most important is that YOU feel safe in taking the pills.

I hadn't actually heard of Lutera before your post (shows how up to date I am on checking pill brands...) but I did a search (Lutera is also apparantly a movie from 1955, hm) and there are really no side effects for the brand that aren't typical with all other birth control pills. Also remember that what one person experiences on any given prescription may not be what you will experience.

What's most important to know is that if you have any negative side effects that are either too much of a bother to wait-through and see if they get better (ie, breakthrough bleeding or spotting in the first cycle), you can speak to Planned Parenthood again about trying a different prescription. Also keep in mind that it takes your body until about the third pack of pills to really get settled with the hormones, so any side effects (again, like spotting) you have in the first month or so may not necessarily stick around.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.