Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control for Shorter Cycles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control for Shorter Cycles?
geminisoul
Neophyte
Member # 25275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminisoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to start taking birth control, so I went to the local clinic and got two sample boxes of Orthotricyclen Lo, with 4 weeks of pills to a package.

But, after charting my own period for a few months, I've noticed that I have a period every three weeks instead of every foor weeks. Will going on the pill fix this, or should I consider another form of birth contol?

I'm sorry if this is a very basic question, but the doctor I saw was not my own and he was very rude to me, so I didn't bother trying to ask him anything.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you start taking hormonal birth control, your body stops ovulating and therefore you don't technically have a period anymore, but what is called a withdrawl bleed. The withdrawl bleed happens because one week of each cycle, you have a placebo week of pills (you take three weeks of active pills with hormones, then a fourth week of sugar pills with no hormones) in which the level of hormones in your body drops and this triggers your body to shred the uterine lining like you do when you have your period.

So, yes, taking the pill should allow you to have around 28 day cycles, having the withdrawl bleed whenever you're on the placebo week.

I highly recomend that if you're planning on continuing taking the pill after your sample packs (after the first couple packs you may decide the pill is not for you or the side effects of this particular pill is wrong for your body, at which time you'll need tro experiment with different prescriptions) you should find a new doctor who is NOT rude and who will talk to you and listen to your questions (or go back to your own doctor who you're comfortable with, if that is possible).

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geminisoul
Neophyte
Member # 25275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminisoul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe me, I have no plans of seeing that doctor ever again.

I haven't started the pills yet, but I think I will wait until I can see my regular doctor before I start, because I obviously am not informed enough.

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.