Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Do I need the morning after pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I need the morning after pill?
Caramel Apple Pop
Activist
Member # 8475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caramel Apple Pop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I had a very long sex session. I am on NuvaRing as birthcontrol, and it's not supposed to be out of the vagina for more than three hours per day. It states that if it is out for longer than three hours to use a back up method for the following 7 days. I can't find anywhere what to do if you take it out, have sex AND THEN not put it back in for oh lets say.. four hours.

Yes, that is right.. I left it out for about four hours when I was only supposed to have it out for three at the longest. It's Sunday here right now, and I cannot call anyone who would know the answer.. So I am hoping one of you lovely ladies knows.

Does anyone know if I need to get EC?

Posts: 98 | From: A world of wonder, where war never disturbes peace, and the sun never gets consumed by the shadows... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd surmise you have had a risk.

As to whether or not to get EC, that's a toughie, since I'd guestimate that your risk was slight enough that EC is not going to make a big difference.

But this is an instance where I'd suggest calling your GYN and asking his or her opinion.

Posts: 67940 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz scarlet,

what do you mean when you say that her risk is slight enoungh that EC would not make a big difference? I thought that a risk was a risk. Please explain as i am on hormonal birth control and i always assumed that a risk was a risk, and there was no such thing as a slight one. Sorry, i am just confused

Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure.

The pill, when used properly is almost 99% effective. One day late MIGHT reduce that to, say 97-98% effective, tops.

But Plan B's effectiveness is LESS than that amount, therefore, it'd be a wash, or make no difference at all. See how that works?

Posts: 67940 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, that would make sense after all. I didnt know that Plan B's effectiveness rates were lower thasn that of the pill. Thanks once again for educating me!

Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.