Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » obtaining birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: obtaining birth control
askquestions
Neophyte
Member # 24952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for askquestions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi, i was just wondering if I, a 16 year old male in canada could go into a health center and get birth control for my gf.

thanks alot

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure on exact laws or workings in Canada (or the U.S., to be honest) but I'm leaning towards saying no.

The reason this is is because MOST clinics (and really, ALL clinics should) want to talk over the options with the girl, find out any health concerns that only she may know, get a urine sample to test for pregnancy (in my experience, at least, even when I wasn't sexually active they had me do a urine test before prescribing the pills), do a pelvic exam, possibly some other things. Getting hormonal birth control for the first time isn't necessarily a big deal, but just because it IS a medication that can have some nasty side effects for some people, they want to be directly dealing with the woman who will be taking the medication.

IF, however, your girlfriend already has a prescription for the birth control, and that's what you meant, then that may be a different situation and you may be able to pick it up for her. I'm not certain, though.

So, if she's never used hormonal birth control before, or even if she has but will be starting something new or restarting something, I'd recomend her being the one to handle getting it (that doesn't mean you can't drive her there or go to the clinic with her, jsut that she should be present to work out getting the medication she'll be the one taking).

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what Dali said--

There may also be privacy laws in place that would prevent that. In Washington, those laws for children go into affect at either 12 or 14, meaning not even their parents can access their sexual health info, unless the minor releases it. I heard stories from right after the HIPPA laws became active, and now I understand why they're there.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melody
Activist
Member # 11055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all I hope she's not under 14. You have NO idea how much **** you could get yourself into if you got involved with an underaged girl. There would be a huge fine, up to 10 years in prison and they would label you a sex offender for life. How could you ever get a decent job with that on your record? But if she's legal and there are other reasons why she can't go then I'd say just grab some condoms. You can't get the pill for her because they need to check her and her families medical history and test her blood pressure. If she's never been on the pill she needs to go in to get it. There's no way they would let you get it for her without checking her out first.
Posts: 81 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.