Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » The effectiveness of pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The effectiveness of pills
danx1985
Neophyte
Member # 25122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danx1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that the pill is 99% effective against pregnancy in theory. But is this true even if you take it properly? I guess I want to know if there are anyone out there who has been just relying on the pill (unprotected sex) when they are sexually active, and the pill works.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When taken properly, meaning the pill is taken at about the same time every day (there's about a three hour window in which the pill can be taken for it to remain effective) and no pills are missed, the pill can be over 99% effective.

Do note, though, it is recomended that couples who are going to use hormonal birth control as their only form of protection should be and stay in a monogomous relationship, and have TWO full and clear STI screenings 6 months apart before stopping the use of condoms. Then, in good practice of sexual health, they should continue to get full sTI screenings every year after that.

There are many couples who do use the pill or other hormonal birth control as their only form of contraception (myself and my boyfriend included). It is a good choice for couples who are in a long-term, monogomous relation and who have had full STI screenings.

Just to be nitpicky, as well, when couples use hormonal birth control properly and have had the two full STI screenings, they are not having unprotected sex, their sexual activity is very much protected.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-28-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.