Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Trinessa?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trinessa?
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My doc wrote me a prescription for Ortho Tricyclen, but when my mom filled it we got something called TriNessa... is it the same thing?

Also, I've been searching for this drug name on the internet and I've come across all these horror stories about Trinessa, how when they were on it was the worst time in their lives... etc. It's kind of scaring me... should I go back to the pharmacy and ask for Ortho instead?

[This message has been edited by icygirl88 (edited 08-24-2005).]

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ortho Tricyclin is probably the generic name, and Trinessa a brand name.

I'm prescribed salbutamol, but what I actually get is a drug called ventolin. Salbutamol is the generic name, Ventolin the brand. That's the only difference.

Don't believe the horror stories - it might be perfect for you. If not, that's what the doctor is there for - sometimes, you have to try a few prescriptions to find one that works for you. I had to take three different types of pill before I found one that worked for me.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got that backwards, ladydexter, but your information is basically correct. Ortho Tricyclen is the brand name, TriNessa is the generic. When doctors write prescriptions, unless they specifically are prescribing the generic (which is unusual) they will write the prescription for the brand name, and then the paharmacy will be the one to give out the generic prescription. If a doctor is prescribing a brand name and wants to be sure the patient will get ONLY the brand name, they can write "No Substitutions" on the prescription.

The only difference between a brand name pill and the generic is the price, usually, whichy means you're paying a lower price for pretty much the exact same thing (generic prescriptions don't have quite as rigerous guidelines to meet as brand names through the FDA, BUT that usually doesn't stop their quality from being about equal)

To be honest, I'm not sure what to think about the testimonies I'm finding (I'm assuming they're the same 'horror' stories you're talking about, I'm apt to be skeptical but they are sending some red flags) about the pill, but, it is definitely worth speaking to your doctor about; explain to him you are worried about these sorts of side effects happening to you, print out the articles that have discussed these bad side-effects to show him, etc. He can either lay some claim to your fears or ease your mind some. If he believes you may benefit from taking the name brand instead and can afford the higher cost, he can write you a new prescription that will tell the pharamcist not to substitue a generic.

After you've spoken to your doctor, as well, if you do continue with the generic pills, you should take them for a trail period of about three months; this will give your body enough time to get used to the hormones and you'll see if there are any long term negative side effects you experience from them; also, just be aware during these first months you're using it that if anything starts happening to you that you are worried about or that you don't like, go to the doctor and talk to them! There are a number of different birth control prescriptions and it just takes some trial and error to see which is best for you.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-24-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they are American brand/generic drug names, so I think I can be let off, ne? Thanks for that, Dai. I'll know for next time.
Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will call my doctor tomorrow, but I'm scared she's just going to tell me that the generic and brand are the same thing, and that I should just try this one and see how it goes.

The thing is, I've gone through a ton of testimonials (many of which are ortho vs. trinessa, in favor of ortho) and I don't think I've seen ONE good testimonial about this drug! Anybody out there with experience regarding Trinessa, Ortho-tricyclen, or the difference between them? I'm starting my senior year and I REALLY don't want to be horribly depressed and miserable in my first few months of school... :\

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing though, they are the same thing. I've been on Trinessa for a couple of years now and have never had a problem. I paid the extra for the brand (OrthoTriCyclen) for a year before that. And I'll honestly tell you that I never noticed a difference other than in what my copay was. Do remember that if you choose the brand, it is going to cost you more. And depending on what your insurance says, they may not cover any of the cost of the brand name when a generic is available. I've also worked in a dermatologist's office for quite a while where this particular formulation is prescribed pretty regularly for acne treatment and have NEVER had a patient complain about a difference between the brand and the generic.

As far as the testimonials go, I really wonder if there wasn't something else behind what the users were experiencing. For example, we know that it can take up to three months for your body to really get used to the hormones in any hormonal BC method. So if you take the generic for two months and are having side effects, and then you switch to the brand on the third month and now you don't have the side effects -- it's much more likely that the user's body had finally adjusted to the hormones rather than the change being related to the (basically nonexistent) difference between the generic and the brand. Similarly, sometimes users are doing or taking something else during the first months that can cause some wonkiness with the pill.

I probably wouldn't stress too much over it. Whether you start with the brand or the generic, you are pretty much at risk for the same side effects. If you find you have severe side effects with either one, that's probably a good sign that that particular formulation (in the generic AND the brand) probably just isn't for you.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Thanks much for the responses! I think I'm going to try out the generic and see if it works for me. If it works out, I'll be paying a lot less and it won't have been worth it to get the brand name one first.

I'm starting them on Sunday... *crosses fingers* hope it turns out all right!

One more thing: it says on the package that there are several different color pills in there (haven't yet opened it)... does that mean I'm taking a different color/dosage/whatever every week? Just curious...

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill you're on is what's called a "triphasic formulation": this means that you're taking three different dosages and/or combinations of hormones throughout your cycle. Hence the different colors on your pills -- if there's a fourth color, that's the placebos (which keep you on track with taking the pills during your withdrawl bleed).
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerri1987
Neophyte
Member # 25577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kerri1987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i understand how you feel and i think you should try all different kinds of pills. i was on tri-nessa for six months without any problems before i started having strange side effects. i was depressed, felt constantly anxious and cringed at my boyfriend's touch. i could not explain why but i had absolutely no sexual feelings whatsoever. when i went to get my routine pap smear i happened to mention this to my doctor and asked if it could be related to my pill. she said absolutely it can and that some people just do not react well to certain types of birth control pills. i decided to stop taking tri nessa and it was an incredible change for me. i feel like i am back to my old self now, i have my sexual drive back and i am no longer anxious about everything all the time. my doctor told me about many other types of birth controls, such as the vagina ring which releases hormones directly into the vagina through a ring which is inserted, and is said to have less side effects than a pill taken orally. i personally am deciding to try this and have a doctors appt next month to discuss it further. i hope i have given you a realistic point of view on these 'horror stories' amd put things in better perspective for you.

------------------
-kerri

Posts: 3 | From: Shafter, Ca, USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(And don't forget: there are also many forms of birth control which are completely non-hormonal altogether, namely, several very effective barrier methods, like condoms, diaphragms, and/or cervical caps. So, if for a given person, hormonal methods period are just no good, or if one'd prefer to avoid them, there are plenty of other options.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill015
Neophyte
Member # 25857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT use Trinessa as a substituite for OTC. I have been on OTC for ten years and my pharmacy switched me to Trinessa, I have been bleeding and cramping the entire two months I've been taking it. Scary amounts of bleeding at random times. The nightmare of blood on your pants in public will come true with Trinessa.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.