Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Nuvaring Increased Risk Heart Attack?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring Increased Risk Heart Attack?
lfeuerhak
Neophyte
Member # 25052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lfeuerhak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on Nuvaring for quite a while... My boyfriend said that he saw a news story on CNN where the Nuvaring gives more risk at heart attacks than any other birth control pills. Has anyone seen this information? Has anyone stopped using the Nuvaring because of this?

Thanks.

Posts: 4 | From: Peoria, Illinois, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I did a search for this, including searching CNN's website, and found no such article or statement ANYWHERE.

So, I am highly dubious of its accuracy.

It is true that using any type or hormonal birth control can be dangerous to those more likely to develop blood clots, because risk of heart attack will then be increased, but that's with any form of hormonal birth control.

Another reason I am also dubious of this is because as of yet, there aren't many studies yet documenting the benefits/risks of Nuvaring compared to other hormonal birth control, and most of the information regarding increased risk of heart attack/etc. is based on studies done with birth control pills, not the ring itself.

So while it is good to take into consideration ANY hormonal birth control can increase your risk of blood clots/stroke/heart attacks, especially if you smoke/are over 35/etc. Nuvaring itself is not more culprit than any other form of hormonal contraception.

So, unless you or your boyfriend can actually come up with proof of the CNN story he saw on this, and furthermore that story has valid facts, I'd say this probably isn't accurate information and Nuvaring will not give you any greater risk for heart attack than any other form of hormonal contraception.

(In case you're interested, I grabbed this from the Planned Parenthood website information on Nuvaring

NuvaRing® contains the progestin Etonogestrel (a form of the progestin desogestrel which is contained in some kinds of birth control pills).

Because NuvaRing® is a new method of birth control we must take information gotten from studies of the Pill and apply it to the Ring. Some of those studies have shown that there is a small increase in the risk of getting blood clots in the veins of the legs or lungs of women using birth control pills containing desogestrel compared to birth control pills containing other types of progestins. No one knows for sure if this increased risk of getting blood clots is the same for women who use NuvaRing® but it is important that you know about the possibility.

What are your chances of developing a blood clot compared to other women?

The chance of getting these blood clots if you are not using any hormonal birth control and are not pregnant is 4 per 100,000 women per year.
If you are taking birth control pills containing other progestin hormones (levonorgestrel or norethindrone), the chance of getting these blood clots is 10-15 in 100,000 women per year.
For a woman currently using a pill containing desogestrel, the chance of getting these blood clots would be 20-30 in 100,000 women per year. (This may be the same for the Ring.)
On the other hand, for any woman who becomes pregnant, the chance of getting these blood clots is about 60 per 100,000 women per year.

[This message has been edited by dailicious (edited 08-23-2005).]

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.