Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » spermicidic vs non-spermicidic condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: spermicidic vs non-spermicidic condoms
campfireteen
Neophyte
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for campfireteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking into what kind of condoms are best, trying to do a bit of research and wondering if you guys could help me out because I'm a bit confused. I know that having spermicide on a condom will decrease the chances of a pregnency.

Seemed to me that would then be the way to go, until while I was looking around I found an artical that said: "repeated use [of spermicidics] can irritate the vaginal lining, possibly increasing susceptibility to HIV."

Does that mean that I'm better off in the long run not useing spermicide on my condoms?

Trojan also has a warning on their condoms that says: "Spermicidal Lubricants Are Not For Rectal Use Or More-Than-Once-A-Day Vaginal Use."

So does that mean that if I'm useing spermicide on the condom, I should only be having sex once that day? If I'm looking for something I can use more then once in a day, should I be buying non-spermicidal condoms?

Thanks for the help

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from the irritating qualities of spermicide, spermicidal condoms don't have enough spermicide on them to really be effective anyway.

This may be my bias, having found out the hard way I'm allergic to spermicide, but I'd go for the non-spermicidal ones, and use extra lube to prevent a breakage, regardless of how many times you plan on having sex. Spermicide is, I believe, effectively dish soap, someone on here said, and it just doesn't sound like a nice thing to be using.

So there's no benefit to spermicidal condoms over non-spermicidal, but the chances of disadvantages are higher.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
campfireteen
Neophyte
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for campfireteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that even though multiple studies have shown that the spermicide on the condom makes your risk of pregnency even lower, and with the fact that I know I'm not allergic to it, that I'm still better off with just normal condoms? I don't quite see how that pans out... is there actually some disadvantage to the spermicide or is it that it has so low an amount of change in the risk rate that it doesn't make it worth it?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, you've got it. Spermicide isn't useless, persay, but just not as effective as many distributers make it out to be. But because these marketers make it out to be so effective, people buy it.

Spermicide kills sperm by tearing up the cell membranes, but that means it can attack the cells that make up the vagina as well. More tears in the wall of the vagina means a higher risk of STD infections, which is where the increased chance of HIV comes from.

And, add that to that fact that most women find they have some irritation from it, spermicide really isn't worth the cost, the mess, or the trouble. Your best bet is to stick to regular 'ol rubbers, w/ added lube, and a back-up hormonal method of BC, like the pill.

[This message has been edited by JamsessionVT (edited 08-14-2005).]

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicide can affect the sperm, yes. But the amount on a spermicidal condom is so small the effect, if any, would be negligible. In addition, a lot of the spermicide on a spermicidal condom will be lost in the simple act of putting the condom on - I know my last partner and I ended up finding the lube left on the condom after putting it on was nearly nonexistant.

It probably does have an effect, I don't dispute that. What I'm saying is that it's such a tiny amount the effects may very well be negligible. Plus, like I said, spermicide = dish soap, so using it frequently even if you aren't allergic would probably not help.

I'm not trying to put you off - indeed, many people use spermicidal condoms and have no objection to them. All I am saying is that really, spermicidal condoms are not going to lower your risk if you suffer a condom failure, because there is so little spermicide on the actual condom.

Either way you choose, extra lube is good as it prevents condom breakages, regardless of the condoms you choose to use.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a report from the World Health Organization on the dubious benefits of nonoxynol9, the spermicide used in condoms:
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/rtis/nonoxynol9.html

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.