Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Depo Provera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depo Provera
sheilaella
Neophyte
Member # 24778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheilaella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the doctor and told her of my problem with remembering to take a pill every day, and told her I wanted to know about the patch. She reccomended that I try Depo Provera because I still have to remember to switch a patch every week. I was very excited about it untill I read a story of a woman who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and apparently many other women who got this disease after the Depo. I am a very paranoid person when it comes to my body. I am very well known to get every single bug/disease/bacteria I come into contact with. I would like to know how credible these stories are, if they are just freak incidents where women all notice they have the same disease or is it really a Depo problem?
Posts: 1 | From: Grand Rapids, Minnesota, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I have not heard any reputable sources cite Depo as being linked to fibromyalgia. Still, i'm generally skeptical about DP because it has so many side effects. For one thing, it really reduces bone dnesity in women, and given that teens don't get much calcium as it is I'm almost willing to bet in 30 years, we're going to see a lot of hunched backs. Moreover, it's a 3 months dose, so if your body really doesn't take to it right off the bat, you're stuck with it till it wears off. Run a search http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/search.cgi?action=intro&default=21 and look up keyword "depo" and see what turns up. you may be surprised.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.