Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » weight gain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weight gain?
this_girl05
Neophyte
Member # 24176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for this_girl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am about to start birth control and I was wondering if there is any form of birth control without a risk of weight gain. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for me, but I am a dancer and I can't afford to gain any weight. What do they mean when they say weight gain? Is it a lot of extra weight or more like a pound or two? Thanks, any posts would help.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, condoms and diaphragms won't incur any weight gain unless you use them incorrectly and get pregnant.

as for birth control pills, patches, shots, rings, etc, the amount of weight gain varies in each person. some women report no gain. others like me gained a lot.

but there are ways to control the problem. Avoid excess salt, drink lots of water, avoid junk and eat lots of veggies.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might add- I've never experienced weight gain on any of the about 5 types of birth control prescrptions I've been on.

It also might help that because you dance you're getting a regular form of exercise, which is always beneficial in preventing eight gain to an extent, and definitely in getting it off and keeping it off.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CEC523
Activist
Member # 23120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CEC523     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on two brands of the pill and it hasn't affected my weight at all. It all varies person to person.

------------------
"Talking about music is like talking about sex. Can you describe it?"
-Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 124 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, the pill actually made me appear to LOSE weight, for the simple fact that I stopped bloating up before my (excruciatingly irregular) periods! I used to put on a stone (14lb - not sure of the Kg conversion) leading up to a period, and then shed it in the three days I bled - since I started the pill over a year ago, my weight's remained happily steady. No more excess water retention!

There's absolutely no way of telling how it'll affect you, though. You won't know until you try it. I doubt it'll have too much of an effect if you're a regular exerciser, though.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Breezy119
Activist
Member # 13552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Breezy119     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gained a lot of weight when i first tried Seasonale. I was a pretty small girl so the weight wasn't too bad, but it was just shocking how fast I put it on. Generally, people don't gain as much weight as I did, but it varies from person to person. I'm waiting to see if there is a difference now that I'm on the patch, but I haven't been on it long.
Posts: 48 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the topic of weight gain and the pill is a very common one. here's here's an extensive discussion of the topic

Weight Gain and Birth Control Pills http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/001876.html

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
this_girl05
Neophyte
Member # 24176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for this_girl05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, my mom told me otherwise. She said that when she was on the pill she felt incredibly fat and hated it. Maybe she was just saying this to scare me out of taking it, or maybe thats how her body reacted. I shouldn't let the side affect get in the way of protecting myself and my partner, though.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, you shouldn't.

And if it turns out youd don't like the side effects of the pill -- and there are plenty for some people -- you can always also switch to another method as there are several, both hormone-based and barrier-based to choose from.

(I did experience weight gain on the pill -- actually, boob-gain, which I didn't like myself, but one, there were other side effetcs that troubled me a lot more, and two, that was well over a decade ago when I went off and OCPs have changed since then.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage ST blog about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lost about 10 or so pounds when I went on Yasmin. I think it's only because it balanced out my hormones. I went through puberty and everything went out of whack...but that was a long time ago.
Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think when i first when on the pill, i gained a fair amount in the boob department but lost a little weight over all. now i'm on a super-low-dose pill and my breasts are basically back to where they were originally.

it depends on your specific, individual body, but in general the low-dose pills they have now have much less in the way of unpleasant side effects than the pills that were commonly used even 5 years ago.

e

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.