Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Doubts about condom usage...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doubts about condom usage...
Kotori
Activist
Member # 17839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kotori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read lots of 'guides' about putting on condoms, but I still have some doubts... I myself have put condoms on my boyfriend lots of times, but we haven't had intercorse yet - we've used them for oral sex, mainly - and so I hadn't been worried about their strictly correct use - after all, it's not that great a problem if a condom breaks while I'm masturbating him, but it is if we're having intercourse :P

First of all, when putting on a condom you should press the tip in order to leave some space for semen, but I've also read that you should press it so that NO air AT ALL is left inside of the condom - otherwise that air may cause it to break. Is that true?

This one might seem pretty stupid... but anyway, when I roll the condom down, it's really difficult to roll it down ALL the way to the base of the penis - it usually stays 1 inch or so above the base, but I guess I'm supposed to roll it down completely, right? I can only do that with the help of my nails, but since they're quite long I might cause it to tear , so I was wondering if maybe it would be useful to use a drop of lubricant on the ring for it to unroll easier?

Also, I keep my condoms inside of my handbag, which I'm not sure is a proper place... but I do that mainly because I don't want to leave them inside of a drawer, since my mum is likely to act all nosy and keep track of 'how many are left' or 'how quickly I use them all' if she knows where they are. I've tried convincing her, but she says 'she has a right to know'. Anyway, since I usually carry my handbag with me, I keep them all there - is that safe enough?

And finally... I've read that it's necesary to use a condom while giving oral sex to prevent from getting STDs - ok. I've also read that when using a condom for oral sex you might scrape it with your teeth or something, therefore damaging it and making it inadequate for intercourse. So, if you alternate between oral sex and intercourse, are you supposed to use a new condom EACH time? That sounds pretty exaggerated to me, but I thought I should ask anyway...

That's it - somehow all my posts end up being reeeally long Thanks in advance for your advice.

[This message has been edited by Kotori (edited 06-27-2005).]

Posts: 80 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true about getting the air out of the tip. Also I think it's also for the comfort for you and your partner. (When putting on a condom roll it down half-way and squeeze the air out of the tip, not press down on it.)

You may want to try larger condoms, or a different brand if it doesn't fit.

I don't see anything wrong with keeping them in your handbag unless there's going to be excessive heat with it, like keeping it in a wallet which you should never do. But then again I could be wrong about the handbag.

Well if you're going to give your partner oral sex, you should use a condom as long as with intercourse, but maybe you should make up your mind with what you'd like to do with him. Oral sex or intercourse. Doing each several times, switching for "one session" does seem...excessive. If you are tested for STD's and test come back negative, condom use for oral sex doesn't have to be used.

Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hot4nerds, that isn't exactly true.

It is recomended that couples are and will stay monogomous and have TWO STD screenings 6 months apart before stopping use of condoms.

But oral sex, to mention one thing, has the risk of spreading herpes from cold sores, which can't be detected in an STD screenings.

Also, there is no reason whatsoever you shouldn't engage in oral sex and intercourse in one sitting of sex. Also, switching condoms between each to me does not seem excessive if you're worried about ahving damaged the condom in anyway from your mouth. In fact it just seems smarter to not take that risk.

Also, as long as you aren't leaving your handbag in a car for extended periods of time (or anywhere where it will either get really warm and stay warm for hours or really cold) it should be absolutely fine to store your condoms there.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dailicious:
But oral sex, to mention one thing, has the risk of spreading herpes from cold sores, which can't be detected in an STD screenings.

Which is difficult to detect in an STD test unless there is a sore present. There is an antibody test that healthcare providers CAN do to detect herpes when sores are not present, however it may not be as accurate. Usually herpes tests involve swabbing the sore and then testing that sample. In the case of an antibody test, they take blood and check it for the antibodies that your body makes to try to fight the herpes virus. The antibody test may not be AS accurate as the other forms of testing because, if you have been recently infected, you may not have produced enough antibodies yet.

WebMD: Herpes Tests

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to not be clear on that, I meant oral herpes, cold sores, can't be detected, though if you had had those long enough you'd probably have gotten a sore before to be able to know on your own; though it can develop anytime and you may not be aware. Sorry again in case I confused anything!
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hot4nerds
Neophyte
Member # 19419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hot4nerds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean not to do both. I mean doing oral, intercourse, oral, intercourse and to keep stopping and changing condoms, that's what I mean to be excessive.
Posts: 38 | From: Albany, Ny | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.