Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » First time Nuva Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time Nuva Ring
atsgirl
Neophyte
Member # 22340

Icon 5 posted      Profile for atsgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I just started the Nuva Ring today and found this site to help me out with some questions.. but now i have more. I just stopped Depo because i hated the bleeding and I can't remember to take a pill so I decided to use the ring. I read that you can take the ring out and have sex and put it back in before 3 hours and still be protected. Is this true? Mainly I am afraid that by having sex the ring will be pushed up too far. Considering I have read many posts and many women feel the ring is going to slip out instead of become stuck. If any veteran users ( not implying old) have any advice please help me out!

[This message has been edited by atsgirl (edited 03-05-2005).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you read this? I took a look at their site and didn't see anything there. I'd suggest you talk to your doctor about this before trying it.

The ring really CAN'T be pushed up too far ... It's got nowhere to go. If it does get up a little beyond your reach, you can try getting it through various positions (sitting on the toilet vs. standing w/ one foot on the toilet) and baring down, or asking your partner to get it for you.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsgirl
Neophyte
Member # 22340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the part about taking it out on this website under girlygirl's posts and the replies given to her. I believe someone called Ashy and a few others commented on taking it out during sex and putting it back in after, but thank you for letting me know it can't get lost.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cweber22
Activist
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cweber22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the information provided with it, it does state that you can take it out for 3 hrs per day, but no more and still be protected... however if you do leave it out for more than 3 hrs, you need to use another method of protection (which you should be anyways for HIV/STD protection) for 7 days. It also states that usually the partner doesn't feel it anyway and doesn't get in the way of sex, so there is really no reason to take it out.
Posts: 47 | From: Plano, Tx. Usa. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsgirl
Neophyte
Member # 22340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well now that I have that cleared I have another quam. I have been getting extremely painful cramps that last about 15 minutes. Both times have been around 3 am. Is this normal? I have never had cramps like this before.

ok nevermind since no one has answered in 4 days. thank you for help on my first problem, but it would have been nice to get more.

[This message has been edited by atsgirl (edited 03-14-2005).]

Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am pretty sure what it says is that if it comes out no back up BC is needed as long as it is re-inserted within 3 hours. The site says specifically that it is to be left in for intercourse.

The more frequently the ring is removed, the greater the fluctuations in the hormone levels, the greater the likelyhood of contraceptive failure.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farcus01
Neophyte
Member # 22746

Icon 3 posted      Profile for farcus01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Nuva Ring for almost a year. I enjoy the benefit of not having to remember a pill every day (I was bad at that). I was concerned when I read your post about taking the ring in and out.

DON'T TAKE YOUR RING OUT AND IF IT FALLS OUT, RINSE IT IN WARM WATER AND PUT IT RIGHT BACK IN!

I've never had one fall out. The farther you push it in, the more securely it will stay there and the less likely it is to 'bug' you. I don't feel mine anymore.

I've also never had a boy complain about me wearing it. It is almost like extra assurance for them that I'm responsible and amd mature in my decisions about birth control. They would never know if I took my pill or not. Trust me, he will be way to distracted during sex to even think that he feels a ring up there with his member!

Posts: 2 | From: Bloomington, IN USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jvanderloon
Neophyte
Member # 23236

Icon 7 posted      Profile for jvanderloon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using Nuva Ring for 3 months now and absolutely love it. No remembering pills every day, and I NEVER feel it. I always leave it in during sex, and I have never felt it and neither has my boyfriend. My doctor did tell me that if it bothered me or him I could take it out for up to 3 hours, but I have never had the need to.
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssquash7
Neophyte
Member # 23676

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ssquash7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that there are so many people on the Nuva Ring bandwagon. I just started this week. Has anyone experience trouble with it staying up (not in, but literally up)? I have to push it further back at least once a day. Getting worried and annoyed. I was so hoping this would be the end of obvious patch-style b.c.
Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mousegirl
Neophyte
Member # 23962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mousegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I have a question, and I'm probably gonna sound really ignorant: What's a Nuva ring, and where can you get one?
Posts: 2 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Use this link to learn about the Nuva ring.

------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaiti
Neophyte
Member # 24690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by farcus01:
[B]I've been on Nuva Ring for almost a year. I enjoy the benefit of not having to remember a pill every day (I was bad at that)......

i have a question. i see that u have had the ring for a long time now. i have just started the ring. my doctor told me that it doesnt actually start workin until after one month of use....i just changed my old ring this past week and i was wondering if i have intercourse and the guy "comes" inside me...like less than a week of changing the 1st month ring...is there a chance i can get pregnant (for it being so soon???)) please email or post asap!

------------------

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kaiti-

As far as pregnancy goes, you should be protected. It takes about 1 month for any form of hormonal birth control to gain its full effectiveness against pregnancy; so as long as you have used the ring for one full month, anytime after that you should be covered.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.