Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Irregular Pap caused by Nuvaring?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Irregular Pap caused by Nuvaring?
ErinBrim
Neophyte
Member # 21467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinBrim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had my first irregular Pap result EVER (in almost 20 years), and I just started the Nuvaring a year ago. I can help but wonder if it's the cause, understanding that it slowly releases locazied hormones... Anyone else had a similar experience?
Posts: 1 | From: Portland, OR USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coop
Neophyte
Member # 24689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started using the ring a week ago. Are you still using it? Still having abnormal paps?
Posts: 2 | From: AL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it has to do with your NuvaRing or not, but do note that while they should be viewed seriously and you should go in for a repeat pap, irregular pap smears that come about for no reason are not unnatural in women.

I had one my very first pap and it turned out just to be a fluke in the test, and it's happened to my mom on a couple different occassions.

Have you talked to your gynecologist about it? She could be the best judge to tell you if the NuvaRing should or should not be suspect for cauing the irregular pap.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMT193
Neophyte
Member # 25013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMT193     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ErinBrim:
I just had my first irregular Pap result EVER (in almost 20 years), and I just started the Nuvaring a year ago. I can help but wonder if it's the cause, understanding that it slowly releases locazied hormones... Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi, I just had my first irregular pap smear (I'm 21) and I have had the nuvaring for about a year now... I was thinking the same thing, that maybe there is a connection. I'm trying to find more info about it, I'll keep you updated :-)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ring causing an irregular pap smear would be pretty unlikely.

More likely is that if since using the ring, you have stopped practicing safer sex, you may have an infection present.

Know too, though, that you should always repeat a pap before getting too concerned: now and then general hormonal fluctuations and vaginal changes can result in an irregular pap.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.