Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » need help: Nuva Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help: Nuva Ring
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I started the Nuva Ring a little over a month ago. I'm horrible at remembering to take pills, and I tried The Patch and decided I didn't want to use it anymore because it looked like a nasty bandaid after the first day. So, I decided to try the Nuva Ring, which seems pretty good so far.

However, I was with my boyfriend a few weeks ago, and he could feel the Nuva Ring and made a comment about it. When I first put it in, it's all the way in there, however, as soon as I get up and move around, it shifts and sits almost at the opening of my vagina. It's quite frustrating, because I have to re-insert it every day when I take a shower, and even then it won't stay in place.

Am I putting it in wrong? Is there some sort of trick to this that I'm not aware of, to keep it at the back without having to worry that my boyfriend will feel it?

Any advice or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 11 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my personal experience, it's much easier to simply take the ring out during sex. You can leave it out for up to 3 hours every 24 hours and have it still be effective, so for me, it's much easier to take out and put it back in right afterwards (don't forget to put it back in!)

Although I could be completely wrong, it sounds like you may not be putting it up far enough. In my experience, "far enough" is so that it's tucked up right next to the cervix--so there's like a little curve in the vagina just before the cervix, so it stays there. Another thing that helps for me is after putting it in while lying down, standing up and putting it where it should be.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i push it as far back as i can, and it at least feels like it's as far as it can go. i have small hands (and short fingers) so, pushing it in really far is kinda hard. i'm also really tiny (5' tall) so, maybe the ring is too big to fit and it just kinda "pops" out of place? i dunno, maybe i'm only getting it partially all the way in...??

i thought about just taking it out before sex, but, i kinda feel weird saying "hold on, let me take this ring out, and go put it on some toilet paper in the bathroom, hold that though..." and run out of the room kinda seems like a mood killer haha but if i can't get it to fit in there properly without sliding out of place, i guess that's my only option.

quick question though, if i do take it out for sex, let's say for arguments sake, on a semi-regular basis, for 2-3 hours at a time... won't that, over time, increase my risk of getting pregnant?

Posts: 11 | From: NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your height actually doesn't have an effect on the length of your vagina, so, that's probably not it. I guess I would try putting it back in in different positions--sitting, squatting, standing, etc, because maybe with one position, you'll be able to put it in where it's comfy. I definitely understand the feeling of the ring "poking out", but that doesn't happen when I put it where it's supposed to be.

I don't think taking it out is a mood killer, it's pretty easy and quick for me. My partner usually only takes it out just before penetration (yeah, has to do the whole "fishing" thing) and puts it near the clock so I remember it. Takes about 30-45 seconds, it's really no big deal. It's far more effort to struggle with taking clothes off. Afterwards, you can remember to rinse it with warm water and put it back in, and you should be okay.

No, it won't increase your risk of getting pregnant. Taking the ring out for the minimum time possible is a good idea, but the reason that you can only take it out for x amount of hours per day is to keep your hormone levels at a stable level, which prevents pregnancy. So, the NuvaRing manufacturer has determined that 3 hrs is the max for keeping your hormone levels stable--leaving it out longer could make them drop too low.

If you still can't get the ring in properly, see your gyn. Maybe the gyn will agree that the ring just doens't fit in your body very well, and that there will be another type of BC that's better for you.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

thank you i'll try putting it in differently in the morning. if that still doesn't work, i'm going to give my gyno a call.
cweber22
Activist
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cweber22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Gyno told me a lil trick to getting it, is to use a new tampon and take it out and stick the ring in the tampons place and use the applicator to insert the ring.

I've been using the ring for a while now and I love it, my partner doesn't even notice it in me...

Posts: 47 | From: Plano, Tx. Usa. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

quote:
Originally posted by cweber22:
My Gyno told me a lil trick to getting it, is to use a new tampon and take it out and stick the ring in the tampons place and use the applicator to insert the ring.

I've been using the ring for a while now and I love it, my partner doesn't even notice it in me...

that's a really good idea. which brand/type of tampon applicator though? i know there are a few different kinds/styles of applicators... thank you

[This message has been edited by girly girl (edited 12-09-2004).]

cweber22
Activist
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cweber22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it would really make a diffrence... just use the ones that you like.
Posts: 47 | From: Plano, Tx. Usa. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

ok, i tried the tampon method. it helped me insert it farther in, however, it still slid out of place this is really starting to get frustrating. anyone else with any other "helpful hints" as to how to get this ring to stay where it's supposed to?
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ring is flexible enough to fold for inserting, but springy enough to regain its shape after it is put in. If you are able, try to put it in so that the “back” part of the ring nestles just in behind your cervix, and then try to position the front part of the ring under the little ridge that the pubic bone makes on the front wall of your vagina.

This is how we teach women to put in their diaphragm which is similar in shape. This placement tends to help keep the diaphragm in place and should work fine for the ring as well.

I have had one or two young women that were not comfortable with putting their finger(s) inside the vagina to know “what is what” as well as to retrieve their diaphragm or ring, and in those cases we had to use other options.

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

quote:
Originally posted by Barbarosa:
The Ring is flexible enough to fold for inserting, but springy enough to regain its shape after it is put in. If you are able, try to put it in so that the “back” part of the ring nestles just in behind your cervix, and then try to position the front part of the ring under the little ridge that the pubic bone makes on the front wall of your vagina.

This is how we teach women to put in their diaphragm which is similar in shape. This placement tends to help keep the diaphragm in place and should work fine for the ring as well.

I have had one or two young women that were not comfortable with putting their finger(s) inside the vagina to know “what is what” as well as to retrieve their diaphragm or ring, and in those cases we had to use other options.

the ring, for whatever reason, is not a perfect circles anymore. it's kinda mis-shapen now... could that be the problem? should i call up my gyno and ask for another one, and hope that one stays in place?

i tried pushing it all the way in, to the position you described, and i did... or at least i thought i did. but within about an hour or so, it manuvered it's way out of that position, and is just kinda hangin out in there now. lol

Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would try to talk to the person that prescribed the ring for you and describe your difficulties. Presumably they have done an exam on you and may be able to offer some specific pointers for you to get this to work. If not is may be time to consider other options.
Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christinejones
Activist
Member # 19128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christinejones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

do you normally have any problems with using tampons too? i can't use tampax because i am too short in my vagina and they extend lengthways - i have the same problem that it won't go in far enough and sits at the entrance to my vagina which i can feel and then starts to work its way out when i walk around too.... making it a useless, bloody mess literally. i found the tampons that expand widthways can work for me but i tend to wear pads more often than not as it is easier i can never be certain with the tampons.
i was just curious as to whether it was just with the nuva ring you had that problem?

Posts: 139 | From: los angeles | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly girl
Neophyte
Member # 21049

quote:
Originally posted by christinejones:

do you normally have any problems with using tampons too? i can't use tampax because i am too short in my vagina and they extend lengthways - i have the same problem that it won't go in far enough and sits at the entrance to my vagina which i can feel and then starts to work its way out when i walk around too.... making it a useless, bloody mess literally. i found the tampons that expand widthways can work for me but i tend to wear pads more often than not as it is easier i can never be certain with the tampons.
i was just curious as to whether it was just with the nuva ring you had that problem?

i've never had problems with tampons. just the nuva ring... which is really annoying even though i didn't like the patch because it looked like a dirty bandaid after a day or so, i think i may switch back to that if i can't get the nuva ring to stay in place.

michi
Neophyte
Member # 21185

Icon 10 posted      Profile for michi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to my Gyn to have her put in the ring, because I was having the same falling out problem, so she drew a sketch of what i was doing wrong, the ring needs to be in a diagonal, I was placing in straight up into the canal and just counting on the whole ring to be held by the pubic bone, when I say diagonal it means that the top part of the ring needs to be over the cervix and the bottom of the ring over the oubic bone, if you look at a sexual antomy of the woman on line you will notice that you kinda have to hook it on the cervix... hope this works its been working for me, and I elt were the ring is now and its relly not that far up
Posts: 1 | From: PP Florida, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good way to explain it, Michi. The ring works best for me if it's "hooked" up there. So, girly girl, I would recommend trying to see if there's a little notch where the cervix starts, and trying to kind of put it in that little nook, or seeing your GYN for some ideas--it's also possible that the ring just isn't a good choice for you.
cweber22
Activist
Member # 17855

Icon 11 posted      Profile for cweber22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have been using the ring for about 4 months now... I love it other than the fact that I have vaginal irritation now on the outside.. it just itches and stings sometimes kind of like a blatter infection... has anyone else had this problem? is there anything to help? I called the gyno and they said they could switch my BC, but I don't want to go on the pill because I am not good at remembering and the patch could fall off... I would like to try that Mirena, but I am afraid that I would have the same kind of reaction to the plastic as I do to the ring... Suggestions would be great!
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem with the ring coming out until I developed a little trick that I use every month now. I fold the ring into a smaller loop that is doubled and secure it like that with a rubber band that I have cleaned ( I cut the rubber band open and use it to keep the shape of the smaller ring). This makes it easier to insert and get father up, and I find that it doesn't come down as far if it does come down, and the connecting band across the middle of the loop makes a great retrieving device when I need to take it out before intercourse.

[This message has been edited by bubblex (edited 02-21-2005).]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just started my NuvaRing today and I actually had no problem getting it in. I don't really have a problem- more like a concern I guess. I used the one leg up position to get it in and when I did, it seemed like it was far up...so far up I was scared I wouldn't be able to get it out. But later when I checked on it to make sure it was ok, it seemed like it had slid down. So far down that I can feel it if I stick my finger in a little bit. Are you supposed to be able to feel it like that?

Now it hasn't actually came out or anything. The position it's in is holding it ok. Just like they say, I can't even tell it's there and after these few hours, I love it already. I think it's a great alternative for those who can't remember the pill or don't like the patch. I definitely recommend it!

Edited to add:
I just wanted to share my experience with the patch. This is not to scare others into deciding against the patch because everyone is different so go with what is best for you.

In late 2003, I tried the patch for awhile and I didn't like it too much. It always got snagged on my clothes and once while I was sleeping, the whole thing came off and got stuck to itself! It did pretty good when it regulated my periods and stopped cramps.

But the worse thing about the patch was that I had the WORSE breast tenderness! It was absolutely horrible. It hurt so bad that I could no longer sleep on my stomach. Every time I turned over during my sleep, I would jump up in pain. It was so bad to me that I came very close to crying. I finally had to go off it for 2 reasons.

1) I could no longer pay cash for it because my insurance refused to pay for it
2) I was kind of glad since I wanted to come off it because of the horrible breast tenderness and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Now I have better health insurance that covers my nuvaring and this time I'm more ready to deal with my sexual health. I've just had my first GYN exam and it really wasn't as bad as I thought. It was over in about 10 minutes and I'm sorry I didn't go sooner.

So for those who are scared or embarrased about going in for the exam, don't be. They're doctors/nurses and trust me I'm sure they've heard and seen a lot and aren't going to be disgusted. So stand up and take care of yourself like you should!!

[This message has been edited by DiamondGirl2K (edited 02-25-2005).]

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.