Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condoms
questionable
Neophyte
Member # 5357

Icon 5 posted      Profile for questionable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
are condoms a reliable source of birth control? i know theres no such thing as being "too safe", but what are the chances of getting pregnant with the use of condoms? do you think its ok to use condoms only?
Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms, when used with perfect use, are about 98-99% reliable. What's perfect use: check it out: A Simple Condom Primer.

As for condoms being enough, it's up to you and your partner. Many people feel safer with two forms of birth control, pairing condoms with something else (hormonal methods, diaphragm, etc.). One that we recommend often is that you abstain from sex on a female partner's most fertile days (which she can learn through charting, which is a whole 'nother story. word of warning, though: use it only in conjunction with condoms, not by itself!) I, personally, choose to use condoms as my sole method of protection and I've never had a mishap for the few years I've been sexually active.

------------------
I can count to purple backwards!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.