Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » First time user of ortho evra

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time user of ortho evra
connie
Neophyte
Member # 19224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for connie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to begin using the ortho evra patch without having had any previous experience with birth controls except for condoms. Anyhow, I've been getting myself familarized with the instructions on using the patch and it only tells you how to START using it DURING your period, and never how to start the patch when you're not on your period. Is it okay to start using the patch when you're period has passed for about a week? It says to wait a month after use before it becomes effective. On some websites it says wait 2 weeks. Realistically, which is true? Thanks for your comments and advice.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not fully clear on what you're asking, but you should be using the patch on a 3 weeks on, one off cycle. So, after your third patch, go without for seven days for withdrawal bleed to occur. At the end of those seven days, start a three week cycle again.

One full cycle of full weeks is the soonest I'd advise going without backup birth control. However, continuing to use condoms as backup is smart anyhow, especially if you and your partners have not both been monogamously practicing safer sex for at least six months AND each had at least two full STI screens with negative results.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
connie...just like with other hormonal contraceptive methods you have to start the sunday after your period starts so that 1) it will be effective and 2) it wont mess with your cycle too much
Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
connie
Neophyte
Member # 19224

Icon 7 posted      Profile for connie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your replies. I understand now that it's better to start using the patch during your period, but is it impossible to start a week after your period ends--even if it throws off your cycle? Will this make it take longer to become effective?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey. i just want to say that like any other time you want to take hormonal birth control in any way other than as directed (eg skipping periods), you need to talk to your doctor first. in this case, it sounds like a bad idea to me, and you might as well just wait 2 weeks until you get your period. but if you do decide its what you want to do, talk to your doctor.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momomo
Activist
Member # 8636

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on ortho evra and the woman at planned parenthoos said that I could start taking it that day (it was a monday and i had been off my period for a week) because I have a 28 day cycle normally so the extra week was fine... at least thats what i assume was the reason. i mean you should talk to your doctor or whoever you go to but they should be able to figure something out.

Posts: 273 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.