Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Lunelle v. Depo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunelle v. Depo
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For about 3 years, I have been on Zoloft for depression, and within the past year, Strattera ( a non amphtamine ADD medication), and a small dose of Adavant (Valium like sedative, contradicts on edge feeling caused by Zoloft). I always take my meds within an hour of waking up.

Just lately, I was on the birth control patch, and it didn't work out for me. Very inconvienent. I know I can't take the pill, because without my mother's help, I won't remember (and I don't want her to know). The gynocologist I was examined by, within minutes of reading my information, declared that she would never put me on Depo, which I had requested, because of my on going (but up hill) battle with depression.

Now, I still haven't gotten the idea of Depo out of my head. The ease of a shot appeals to me. So I did some research and found Lunelle, but I have a few questions I can't find the answers to:

Is Depo a shot using only one hormone? I see it referred to as only one, or on progesterone. Then, Lunelle is a combined hormone treatment, right? Does the addition of estrogen cut down on the depression side effect? Are the side effects of Lunelle, being combined, the same as the pill or patch? If so, would Lunelle be a better birth control option for me? And finally, how does my menstrual cycle work with Lunelle? Was it like the patch or pill, where the 4th week (presumable when the shot is wearing off) is when I'd get my period? I would have to use another form of protection that week, right?

I'm planning on asking my doctor the same questions, but since it takes a month for an exam to open up, I'll be waiting for a while, and I'm pretty impatient.

Oh, and one more thing I noticed...even if I add all the numbers up, a year's treatment of Lunelle is still much cheaper than a year's treatment of Depo. What's up with that?

Thanks so much, guys!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would actually agree with your GYN's assessment.

ANY hormonal birth control isn't a good idea when you have severe depression, and no, estrogen won't help, it's also a depressive, essentially.

The lone exception are progestin-based IUDs. IUDs aren't usually suggested for younger women, but they are often suggested as an option for those who can't take other hormonal methods, and they don't contain estrogen.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLSheridan
Neophyte
Member # 19385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GLSheridan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lunelle is no longer on the market...
Posts: 5 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(That's not actually so. Only one form of injection was recalled, another remains, though some areas and clinics are not carrying it at all at this particular time.)
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Londongirl
Activist
Member # 18235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Londongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All methods of hormonal BC protect you all the time provided you take them as directed. The course of pills/patches prevents ovulation, so you are protected for the whole cycle.

The other alternative you could consider is relying on non-hormonal BC. Condoms are about 97% effective if used correctly, and you can take emergency contraception if you have a breakage/slippage of a condom. Another possibility is using condoms with the diaphragm or cap as a back up if you want double protection against pregnancy. This would be an especially good option if you/your are not very practised with condoms.

------------------
Londongirl
Mature Student in Psychology(About to graduate - what do I do now??) Read about me here

Posts: 352 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.