Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » safer sex in the shower?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: safer sex in the shower?
missempathy
Neophyte
Member # 16001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for missempathy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I recently had sex in the shower in my house. He used a condom, like always. Could the water from the shower have made the condoms any less effective? Should we use different birth control for sex in the shower?

I'm just curious, just in case we plan to have sex there again.

------------------
My hopes are so high, that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me?
So I'd die happy.
My heart is yours to fill or burst.
To break or bury, or wear as jewelry.
Whichever you prefer.
[hands down . dashboard confessional]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good onya for making the effort to stay safe! as long as the condom doesn't break, you're protected. however, the water in the shower can wash away lubricant (hopefully you have been using additional water-based lubricant like astroglide), which can increase the likelihood of condom breakage. it can also make sex a little more uncomfortable.

in this case, we recommend trying a silicone-based lubricant, such as bodyglide, which will not be washed away so easily by the water. (as a note, silicon-based lube isn't really the best thing to use outside the water because it's hard to wash off and can cause yeast infections and vaginal unhappiness - so outside water, stick to water-based lube).

good luck!

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, after using a silicone based lube, what is the best way to wash it off and prevent all the ickiness? Or is it okay to use once in a while, in the shower, as long as it doesn't "build up"?
Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't "build up" because your body will get rid of it within a few days (it sees it as a foreign invador, if you will )

But, if you want to get rid of the lubrication on the outside, just take a soft washcloth (not wet) and wipe the gential area. You wont be able to get in very far, but your body will take care of that!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kryshelle
Neophyte
Member # 19179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kryshelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm just wondering: If my boyfriend and I had a bath together and he wore a condom, but we didnt have sexual intercourse,but he did cum, is there a chance I could get pregnant? (like the water moving his cum over to me, or would it stay in the condom?)
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kryshelle, what you have described is fine. you're highly not likely to get pregnant.

------------------
You'll no longer have any reason to doubt the
transcendent power of love after you see it obliterate
an entire armored division in military tests.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.