Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Hives and Ortho tri cyclen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hives and Ortho tri cyclen
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning I woke up with my face, neck, shoulders and upper back covered and hives. I've been on the pill for almost three months now, but we suspect that it might be the cause. My mom was allergic to tetra-cyclin, so we think that I might be too. I'm calling my doctor first thing tomorrow morning, but for now I just need to know if I should take my pill for today. I take it at about 10PM and I'm on the fourth last one before the sugar pills.

------------------
Consciously Naive

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tetracycline is an antibiotic, OTC is a birth control pill, so they're totally different things. Hives are usually indicative of an allergic reaction, so while I've heard of them being connected to birth control pills, it still seems a lot more likely that they'd be from something else. Since the hormones found in the pill occur naturally in your body anyway, it seems unlikely that they'd cause an allergic reaction. Have you changed soaps or laundry detergent, eaten something new, or been under a lot of stress recently?

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

Everything's been sold to others' revolutions

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
delete, double post.

[This message has been edited by Celtic Daisy (edited 05-02-2004).]

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

You're right, Milke. I'm not sure why we thought it was in the pill. Well, the hives have died down a bit with some anit-histamine, and its still a mystery. I've done absolutly nothing different in the last little while, so I don't know what's up. Hopefully they won't make a re-appearance.
w1lmaw0nka
Neophyte
Member # 11284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for w1lmaw0nka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a couple of weeks ago my boyfriend just broke out in hives from the neck down and we couldnt figure out why... its really weird
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.