Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » best drugstore condom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best drugstore condom?
missempathy
Neophyte
Member # 16001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for missempathy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've read that Trojans break more often than other condoms. (I've never had that problem before, but now I'm a wee bit scared.) Is there a specific condom brand most people prefer? Preferably drugstore, I mean, I know you could also order them online, but being 16 and credit card-less it's not an option.

Another question, when a condom breaks, it's noticeable, right? It can't make a small tear that isn't noticeable?

Thanks in advance. ^_^

------------------
My hopes are so high, that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me?
So I'd die happy.
My heart is yours to fill or burst.
To break or bury, or wear as jewelry.
Whichever you prefer.
[hands down . dashboard confessional]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite brand of condom that you can get in the drugstore would be any of the Durex brands. We've had some threads where people talk about their favorite brands of condoms (and also why they're not so hot on Trojans). I'll point you to them below.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000063.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000006.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000043.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000056.html

When a condom breaks, it is usually quite noticable. However, sometimes you might not notice it until after someone ejaculates, so if you're concerned about condom breakage, you might want to investigate where you could get emergency contraception if it was needed.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My partner and I use condoms for both manual sex and intercourse, and so far we haven't had a single problem with Durex.

Truthfully it's probably down to you to experiment and find one which works best for you. Just because Durex suits one couple, they might not be great for another. Beware of spermicidal condoms, though, as they can irritate some women - and believe me, itching down there is incredibly unpleasant.

As for condoms splitting - we haven't had a problem with one breaking so far, so I couldn't say, but I should imagine it'd be perfectly possible for a small tear to occur. Latex is pretty tough, but it does have its limits just like anything else. As Erin said, look into emergency contraception just in case - don't rely on being able to tell, and if a condom tears and you do notice, then there's already a pregnancy risk anyway.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also agree that Durex are a pretty good drugstore brand, as are Lifestyles. Some drug stores do carry a bigger selection also (for instance, I used to live near an Eckert that even carried Kimono's!). Remember that more than just brand, there are many types and fits within each brand. So if the first Durex you try isn't so great for you and your partner, you can try another type within that line.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.