Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control and blood clots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control and blood clots
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 4 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just today I received a phone call from my doctor informing that my antibodies were at a high level to cause blood clots. He ordered me to stop taking my birth control because it could be cause my blood to thick. As much as I donít want to, I am going to stop taking my pill but I really donít feel comfortable losing a method of birth control. I did some research on different methods of birth control and did some reading on Intrauterine device (IUD). My question is, is it really safe for a childless young woman to use this method? Is it safer for someone with the risk of blood clots to use this?

------------------
When life gives you lemons, keep them because, hey, free lemons!

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 03-25-2004).]

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the best person who can help you assess the risks versus the benefits of any birth control is your doctor, so you might want to bring it up with him or her. Most of the time IUDs are not recommended for young women or women who have not yet had children, so I'm not sure what to tell you about their safety in your particular case. However, there are other forms of birth control that are non hormonal, such as diapragms, cervical caps, or even just using condoms (especially in combination with fertility charting).
Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.