Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » depo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: depo?
luckylizzy0669
Neophyte
Member # 15940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luckylizzy0669     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how effective is the depo shot? how would i know if im pregnant... i have been on it since march and they havn't done a pregnancy test since then? I just go every three monthes and get my shot? let me know please?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello lizzie
i JUST started the depo shot yesterday!!! can you tell me a little of your expieriences of it? did you get any side effects?
depo is 'over 99% effective' (i went to the clinic yesterday so all the info is still in my head here...) and yes, every 3 months although there is a different type which can be used every two months. your clinic should give you a date to come back and have another shot too. if you are worried go and ask at your clinic or doctors - they will probably test you there to put your mind to rest

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depo-Provera is very effective in preventing pregnancy (however, it's not effective in protecting against STDs, which is why Scarleteen recommends pairing it with condoms). However, it does make periods light or non-existent for many women, so it can be hard to use a period as an indicator of pregnancy.

You can take a home pregnancy test if you're concerned that you're pregnant. Pregnancy tests will be effective even when you're on Depo-Provera, and will show accurate results 10-14 days after the last time you had sex. You can also ask for a pregnancy test at the place where you got your shot, just as nifty said.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luckylizzy0669
Neophyte
Member # 15940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luckylizzy0669     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanx for responding it helps alot. depo has been easy for me except weight gain, i gained ten pds but they say thats normal. Its a very easy thing to get every three months. thanx for responding.... nifty if you have anymore questions just ask bye bye

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purrplestariris
Neophyte
Member # 12173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purrplestariris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
riding on this topic..

just wondering , if i'm on the shot, then how would i be sure i'm not pregnant? since periods will be light and all it would be too costly to keep taking those home tests wouldn't it? so how do you girls routinely check for the effectiveness of the shot?

Posts: 31 | From: Singapore | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's true that on depo, your period will be very light or even disappear entirely. some people find this distressing for the very reason you cite. that's another reason to use condoms, too! they will help prevent the spread of STD's and STI's, and you will have a backup method to ease your mind somewhat.

other than that, there is nothing you can really do about it, other than take a pregnancy test if you're worried...they're not really all that expensive. if you really think that not having a period every month would unnerve you, then maybe depo isn't right for you....maybe one of the month-based hormonal methods, like the pill, the lunelle shot, the ring or the patch would be better, or maybe hormonal methods are wrong altogether for you.

just some thoughts!

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.