Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Free Condoms at College

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free Condoms at College
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my Univeristy this year they started a thing called "Free Condom Wednesdays." It's a cooperation between the student health center, the womens center, and the LGBT organization. There are several tables across campus and they give out free condoms (hense the name) to anyone who needs/wants one, no questions asked. I think it's great! There's some controversy about it, but IMHO, there is a lot more safer sex going on than there was before!

Do any other colleges do this or something similar? I was just curious. It made me very happy to find out it was going on at my school.

magpie

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm an Residence Advisor/Don at my University, and we got stacks of free condoms to give out to our residents as they're needed. The managers have also approached me about giving a safer sex talk, along with a budget for mini-safer sex kits, which I'm loading up with lube samples, flavoured condoms and gloves to go with the regular condoms I already have. I'm pretty stoked about this, and as of yet, I haven't had any angry parents approaching me about the "Ask me about my safer sex kits" sign on my bulletin boards (as well as the Scarleteen adverts).
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Berkeley's Student Health Center (the Tang Center) has free condoms on the second floor. Available all the time. Otherwise, you can find any number of dorm and co-op health workers who distribute freebies to everybody.

------------------
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i go to Colby and we give condoms out all over the place. the mail room guy even has a big jar of them that you can just grab. although our charming gay mail room boss might give you a little jive about it. :-D

i think that maybe it causes more sex to happen, but more importantly it causes more sex to be safer, and puts the idea of safer sex right out there in front of everyone.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a Catholic university so unfortunately they aren't even allowed to give out condoms in the infirmary. I don't agree with it but it *is* a private school and I did choose to go here. Something else interesting is that we can use our student ID cards to buy things at the local grocery, except for cigarettes and condoms.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours aren't free, but I can't really argue with the 7 for $1 price. Of course, you have to go to Health Services to get them... and they're only open at certain times... hm. Maybe we could benefit from more condoms around campus.

------------------
questions of science, science and progress
do not speak as loud as my heart
tell me you love me, come back and haunt me...

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 3 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Western, i know they have them at health services for free . Obviously the university knows that us students like to have sex and being safe is good way to go! Heck, sex is talked a lot in Psych and Anthro and etc.. why not if your gonna be sexually active, you may as well get your protection available on campus!

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited because: Even mods have brain farts. Whoopsie.

I go to Western too, summergoddess.

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 09-30-2003).]

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to a small(er) community college, and we give them out for free at the health centre. Pretty sure you have to ask for them tho ... I think there should also be a place where you can just take one if you need it, but i haven't seen any of those yet.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

The thing about leaving the condoms out for anyone to take, especially when we have a limited (though hefty) supply on a residence floor is that people take them to prank doors, and whathaveyou. Or someone who thinks they'll need 24 condoms immediately yoinks them all. We don't mind supplying safer sex supplies when it's an emergency, but we try and encourage the residents to pay for their own as often as possible. My floor is pretty comfortable with me, so they don't mind asking when they need a condom or two for the evening.
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to U of Wisconsin-Madison, and it seeems like there are always a ton of free condoms around! In the LGBT center, certainly, and there are organizations like "Sex Out Loud", branches of NARAL and Planned Parenthood, etc, that give free condoms. I even got a keychain which has a condom inside it.

I'm also pleased that we have a variety of condoms--Beyond Seven, Crown, Durex, etc...and no spermicide. Yay!

I buy my own, too, but I do admit to picking up freebies.

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My college has a jar full of condoms on top of all the water coolers. You can just take however many you want whenever you want. They even have perfectly good brands. It's a little different because there are no dorms, so there's almost no potential for sex to happen on campus, so it's just encouraging students to take condoms home with them. I think it's a good idea

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
froggy_dear
Activist
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for froggy_dear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, go to the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition to all the great places Ashy mentioned, they also have them at the University Health Services building, which houses the women's clinic. Those ones are flavored.
Posts: 317 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julie2222222
Neophyte
Member # 14617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for julie2222222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to the University of Texas at Dallas or UTD, and theres an awesome health center there. They give out condoms for free, and they offer the patch and the pill for REAL cheap. Whenever the peer health educators have an event, they fill punch bowls with condoms and place them everywhere. They're great to talk to too.
Posts: 15 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doe4youbaby2
Neophyte
Member # 5251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doe4youbaby2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At UARTS we can get free condoms from our RA's. But in philidelphia They tend to have lots of "centers" where condoms are always free. I think It has something to do with the citys plan to reduce Aids and teen pregnancy.
Posts: 5 | From: nj | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Bryn Mawr, we have condoms and sometimes rubber gloves in a happy little box in all the dorm bathrooms.
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I went to the university of guelph (for one whole year!) we had them in rez. Our rez advisor had them hidden in a draw in teh common room. We all knew they were there (and came in handy when you found ourselve without protection late at night) yet strangers didn't, so there were no pranks with them. Our rez advisor also gave us a 'sex' talk, and taught us about dental dams and the likes. It was great! At ottawa u, where I call home now, they keep a basket in the health center. They have all kinds, but I honestly think people are a little shy to grab them, cause it is right in the middle of the university center. I am sure people realize it is worth the 15 seconds to grab some and be safe.

I wish my high school had had some available. Even if it was in the bathroom or something. Sex was 'hush, hush' at my school, and my parents weren't exactly eager to discuss safer sex with me.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChitarraRegazza
Neophyte
Member # 15161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChitarraRegazza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine arrived at school and found that the res life staff had made posters about safety with facts about alcohol poisioning and safer sex all over them and taped one to each door.

It included a dozen condoms STAPLED to it.

-Catie

Posts: 25 | From: mass and ny | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faeryprinces
Activist
Member # 12405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faeryprinces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penn State has this program called "Condom Co-op" they sell condoms in the commons at certain times of the day. I think they're like 5 or 6 for dollar, 25cents each something like that. I think its a really great idea, especially if you cant get to a drug store or something to purchase condoms...and you cant beat the price!
Posts: 227 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.