Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Contraceptive sponge back in Canada

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contraceptive sponge back in Canada
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1046863833990_5/?hub=Health

Yup, it sure is. It maybe returning to the U.S. in the not-so-distant future, too.

------------------
You can twist his body 'til it faces backwards/Those plastic features/You could make somebody a pretty little wife/But don't let anybody tell you how to live your life.
-Elvis Costello, Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to come right out and say that personally, I'm not a fan. Used these once or twice back in their first run in the eighties. Still shudder at the thought.

They aren't very effective in typical use, diaphragms -- which are a little more effective and far less costly -- seem a much better choice. The sponges are loaded with spermicidal foam which, I have to say, trite as it sounds, makes one's vulva look more than a bit like a rabid animal, and they leave your genitals and thighs tasting supremely nasty. They also, like tampons, carry a TSS and bacterial risk. And they offer no STI protection, so you'll be needing to use condoms anyway, which when used properly, work better than the sponge does on their own.

Obviously, any more options that have effectiveness are good options, and using a sponge would be FAR better than using nothing. Plus, them being totally OTC does offer some accessibility other methods can't (but to be frank, if folks can't or aren't willing to get annual sexual healthcare, they shouldn't likely be sexually active anyhow).

But on a personal level, I didn't miss these. At all.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I heard somebody from Princeton on the radio today giving statistics about the effectiveness of the things, and it didn't sound good at all.

------------------
You can twist his body 'til it faces backwards/Those plastic features/You could make somebody a pretty little wife/But don't let anybody tell you how to live your life.
-Elvis Costello, Tear Off Your Own Head (It's a Doll Revolution)

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why were they so popular? I remember seeing shadowy, flower-involving ads for them in women's magazines in the eighties, but that's all I know about them. The ads suggested they were discrete and dainty (very important for women's 'intimate' products, apparently), but foam all over the thighs doesn't sound like either of those things to me.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popular because:

-They could be inserted hours before sex
-They don't need to have more jelly inserted between acts of sex
-They're supposed to be pretty undetectable once in place (though the rabid vagina image Miz Scarlet brought up seems to nullify that)
-Easy
-Woman-controlled

But, ick. Spermicide. And as mentioned above, not a fabulous failure rate, either.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.