Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condom wont stay on!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom wont stay on!
frenchy
Activist
Member # 11720

Icon 4 posted      Profile for frenchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay i know this is going to sound stupid but whenever my boyfriend and i try to put a condom on him, it seems to come off.
He says its too small (the condom) as it doesn't reach all the way down his penis (nearly does though!).
But i think its too big as its sliding off.
So what is the problem? Is the condom too big or too small??
I dont have a clue with sizes..

Posts: 43 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi frenchy,

sounds like you and your boyfriend just haven't found the right condoms for you yet

you're right: it's important that the condom rolls down completely. at the same time, it's important that the condom sits tight and close, without folds and air pockets between the condom and the skin.

the problem you two might have here, from what you wrote, could be that the ring of the condoms you're currently trying might be too tight. - that's a pretty common problem. i'd recommend that you simply try out a variety of brands of condoms. - there are both smaller (i.e. tighter), wider or shaped condoms around. - buy a variety of small packs until you've discovered some you like. should there be a condom shop near where you are, go there and see what they have.

my partner - who prefers wider rings, too- and i have found that aussie brand saturn's "larger fitting condoms" have a comfortable ring and roll down easily.
also, make sure you don't try to put the condom on until he has a full erection. - and also, lend him a hand. sometimes, especially if the penis in question is uncircmised, it migth seem like one needs three hands.

hope this helps.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be mentioned, in conjunction with what Caro has said, that's it's really impossible for a condom to simply be too short as far as length goes. If you put one on your hand, you'll find you can easily stretch it down your whole forearm, and penises simply don't come that large.

But a too-tight ring can contribute to being unable to roll the condom all the way down.

When you say "sliding off" do you mean the whole thing is slipping off, or that it seems to be rolling itself back up?

If it's the former, then yes, it may simply be too big, and you can try a snugger-fit condom (like Kimono). if it's the latter, then the ring size at the base is likely too tight, and you want to find a condom with a wider ring.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67200 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.