Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Condom breakage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom breakage
Creampop
Neophyte
Member # 10277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Creampop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i am 13 weeks pregnant and me n my bf always have used condoms .... i always thought if the condom had broke we would have known and when we finished none have ever looked broke (u could see that the stuff was contained in the end)is this possible?? i mean it has to b LOL cus i am pregnant ... but has anyone else experienced it???
Posts: 2 | From: balatimore, maryland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you taken a pregnancy test and gotten a postive result? if not, time to do that.

If so, then there are a few possibilities.

1) Condoms must be worn for ALL genital contact, from start to finish.
2) If anal sex has been had and a condom was not worn, pregnancy can occur.
3) Condoms, when not used properly, or passed expiry dates -- or now and then, just on a fluke -- can break, rip or tear. Condoms past expiry dates, or stored improperly, can contain small tears you may or may not see. When a condom rips, breaks or tears, there may still be some semen contained in the condom, especially if the tear wasn't at the tip of the condom.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Creampop
Neophyte
Member # 10277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Creampop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes I have been to a doctor and heard the heartbeat so theres no doubt .... and that was the only time I saw him that month we do not live close to each other I just felt that if it had accured we would have noticed it and yes even during anal condoms were used I wasn't to to concerned bout gettin pregnant I was more scared of STD's thank you for ur prompt reply
Posts: 2 | From: balatimore, maryland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, like all other methods of contraception (other than avoiding any activities with a pregnancy risk), condoms are not 100% effective, as you've found out.

And of course the failure rate is greatly increased if they aren't used properly (for example, if they're used without lube, or if they're not used for all genital contact).

Here at Scarleteen we generally recommend combining condoms with another method of contraception (such as birth control pills or patches) for maximum protection from both pregnancy and STDs.

Since you've obviously come into contact with sperm somehow, you also need to think about STD testing, especially if you're planning to carry the pregnancy to term - many STDs can be transmitted to a fetus and/or affect its development if they're not treated.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starl1ght
Neophyte
Member # 10380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starl1ght     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! (I think.) Are you keeping it? Giving it up for adoption? Or having an abortion?

A method my sister uses (I walked in on her doing this once X.X) is to fill the condom with water first, and if it breaks, it's a dud, so she'd be glad she didn't use it.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity, wouldn't unrolling a condom before use make it rather hard to put on, and this, more likely to break? Condoms from any reputable manufacturor are going to be well-made and tested, so why not use them as intended, since they're not really reliable when used any other way?

And it might be better to allow users to coose to announce what they intend to do with their pregnancies -- if announcing that is something they choose to do at all -- rather than prompting them to tell. We're dealing with a pretty sensitive topic here.

------------------
Milke, SSBD

And if I want to, I can stay
Or if I want to, I can leave
Nobody knows me

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.