Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » *+*Lemon juice..hmm..*+*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *+*Lemon juice..hmm..*+*
EvilLilPoptart
Neophyte
Member # 10248

Icon 7 posted      Profile for EvilLilPoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yall have probably heard 'bout this but.. lemon juice can be used as a contraceptive! Zowie. You like soak it in up in a sponge and slip it on in. I just learned that and I was like.."zowie" and thought Id let yall know. I read it on CNN news website thingy. And it also helps fight against HIV or something like that. They are still runnin' tests and stuff to see if it could possibly harm tha female usin' it. So now that youve been enlightened Im outta here. Love yall!~

------------------

"Toe me Mare Mare.I wanna be funky w/ you..."

Posts: 7 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did a quick search and found the article at http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/10/10/australia.sex.lemon.reut/index.html .

What it actually says is that one scientist has said that lemon juice can be an effective spermicide in the lab.

That doesn't mean that anyone should start trying to use lemon juice as a contraceptive now.

And in any case, we're not too big on spermicides here at Scarleteen. Research has shown that, as well as having pretty high failure rates when it comes to preventing pregnancy, some of them can actually increase the chances of HIV transmission by causing vaginal irritation - which lemon juice would certainly do (in fact, I'm wincing at the thought right now).

So really - stick with the condoms for now .

Here's another article on a similar topic:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_646958.html?menu=news.quirkies

quote:
Politician argues the contraceptive power of lemon juice

Thai politicians are debating whether inserting a slice of lemon into the vagina is an effective form of birth control.

Birth control crusader Senator Mechai Viravaidya supports the theory sperm will die if the vagina is soaked with lemon juice.

He believes the traditional practice of inserting a slice of lemon, or cotton soaked with freshly squeezed lemon juice, before sex will prevent pregnancy.

The Nation reports some scientists believe the high level of citric acid and the low ph level of lemon juice can kill sperm in 30 seconds.

But the director-general of the country's Health Department is urging caution and advising people to use condoms instead.

Dr Pakdi Posiri told the paper: "I would stick with our old buddy the condom. What worries me is that a lot of people may try the method and end up getting pregnant or venereal diseases. Women should not jump to it too quickly."

Mr Mechai insisted he was only suggesting that rural people, who may not always have condoms available, might find the lemon technique useful.

A 27-year-old pharmacist interviewed by the paper said: "Even on our skins lemon juice can cause irritation. We are talking about our most sensitive part here."

Don, an office worker in his 30s, added: "I for one will be turned off if my partner stops mid course and says, 'Hey, we forget the lemon'."

Story filed: 12:26 Friday 9th August 2002

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do NOT try and use lemon juice as a contraceptive if you wish NOT to become pregnant.

Lemon juice cannot prevent the spread of HIV either. And for the record, HIV and AIDS are NOT the same disease.

If you read all of these stuidies revisting the traditional ppractice of using lemon juice, what you will have noted is that every one says something like this: The traditional practice of using lemon juice as a contraceptive and its possible use to ward off HIV/Aids infection needs careful study before it can be recommended or We need more time to resreach this before suggesting it. There is a reason for that. Lab tests are not tests on humans. Those tests aren't just about finding harm. They're about finding out of something is effective.

We have done tests for years and years on condom use and know it works. Condoms are as easy to get a hold of as lemons (and to boot, HIV is NOT the only STI out there, and is not the most commonly transmitted, either). We have NUMEROUS forms of reliable birth control which we know work, and which have been tested -- on humans -- for a very long time.

Sp, please, don't be foolish people. And in the future PLEASE do not post telling someone things like this in this way with instructions. It's just really irresponsible. Were we to get an onslaught of pregnant STI-ridden users who tried this, my guess is you'd feel pretty rotten.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68085 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.