Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Silicone Lubes and Oral Sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silicone Lubes and Oral Sex?
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My galpal who works at Planned Parenthood gave my boyfriend some PP signature honeydew and raspberry flavored condoms. They're silicone lubed, so I wasn't sure whether they'd be okay for oral sex. Then again, it is PP, and they wouldn't make this available if it weren't okay to use, right?

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ... that's a really good question, and I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere on the net so far.

I know some silicone is sold as "food grade", but I don't know whether that applies to silicone lube, and given all the controversy over breast implants, the idea of swallowing any liquid silicone doesn't necsssarily sound like a great idea to me. Anyone have any facts on this??

Violet Blue, one of the Good Vibrations sex educators, recommends avoiding pre-lubricated condoms for oral sex because the silicone lube usually tastes bad and (because it's waterproof) is hard to get out of your mouth.

(It's also important to avoid using them with silicone sex toys, as they can damage the surface).

For people who don't like the taste of latex, there is one brand of non-lubed-but-flavoured condom, the Lifestyles Kiss of Mint brand, and apparently polyurethane condoms don't taste of anything.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that to some degree, PP generally concerns itself more with intercourse than anything else. Therefore, it's not surprising to me that those condoms are likely meant for intercourse, rather than oral sex.

Personally, I don't suggest ingesting silicone. The amount in the lube on a condom is likely not enough to harm you at all, or even make a ripple in how you feel, but really, I think it's best to avoid it in general. However, I have never seen anything suggesting it's a big danger.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, then that's just illogical on their part. i mean, why flavor something if you can't safely put it in your mouth? but yeah, the idea of ingesting silicone sounded pretty dodgy from the get-go.

maybe they'll at least smell nice...

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.