Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » have no clue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: have no clue
khia17
Neophyte
Member # 8422

Icon 5 posted      Profile for khia17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am currently in a relationship where my partner and i have decided to become sexually active. however i need to have some prtotection from pregnancy because i have been though that before but had an abortion anyway thats besides the point. i want to know if you have to start taking thepills on the first day of your period? also can a guy just use a condom with agirl eventough she is not on birth control. i just want to know, its my guy's birthday and i would like to go the whole nine yards. in short just give the 411 on stating the pill for the first time please!!!
Posts: 6 | From: jamaica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The person who needs to tell you how to take YOUR oral contraceptives is your doctor. There are various ways to take them, and various different sorts of pills. And all of that depends on what your doctor decides is best for you. So that is the right person to have that discussion with.

Condoms on their own, used properly, can be excellent birth control.

Lastly, it's generally not a good idea to give sex as a gift. I know it sure sounds nice, but it doesn't tend to work out very well to get into the habit of having partners view it that way, and in addition, couples should discuss sex TOGETHER. One person springing it on another as a "present" doesn't then take into account how that person may feel about it, or if they want to partcipate in that scenario.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer some of your questions:

1) to get the pill or any other method of hormonal birth control (such as the patch, the shot, or the ring, all of which are other options for you), you'll need a medical exam -- it's important to check out your overall health and to discuss which option would be best for you. You can get these kind of exams at planned parenthood clinics, at your current gynecologist, or other sexual health clinics. If you need help finding one in your area, we'd be glad to help.

2) some brands of pills can be started the first day of your period, some are "Sunday start" (meaning you start the Sunday after your period starts), others vary. Your doctor can tell you how you would start taking the pill, or how to use any other birth control method you might choose.

Keep in mind, though, that the pill won't be effective as birth control for at least the first month that you're taking it -- so you'll need to use back-up methods of birth control for that first month.

3) yes, a guy can use just a condom with a girl -- it's also an effective protection against pregnancy and STDs. Since the pill doesn't protect against STDs, it's important to use a method that does, such as having your partner wear a condom. Condoms plus a hormonal method of birth control offer the best level of protection against pregnancy AND STDs.

For more about all of this, check out the Safer Sex FAQ which has links to articles and threads about all kinds of birth control options.

Erin

[This message has been edited by ErinK (edited 10-05-2002).]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In short, birth control pills should be taken as prescribed -- when you go to a doctor or clinic to get them, you'll be told when to start taking them, and how long it'll take before they're effective as a contraceptive. It varies from brand to brand, so the only real way to find out the answer to that part of your question is to talk to you your doctor.

Condoms can indeed be used independently of any other form of contraception, and while they do have a 13% failure rate, it's still far better to use a condom than to use nothing at all.

One thing that worries me, though, is that you sound like you've set yourself a deadline for becoming sexually active with your boyfriend. Sex isn't something that should be rushed into, for many reasons. Have looked over our Ready or Not? Readiness Checklist yet? Give yourself some time to think about all of those things, and make sure you have everything you'll need first.

Additionally, take a look at this chart for more information on contraceptive methods: Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeeeeeee! Triple mindmeld!
Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.