Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » what the pills mean

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what the pills mean
redorangeyellow
Neophyte
Member # 9920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redorangeyellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what do the different pills mean in the pack? what are white ones? and the light blue, dark blue, and green ones??
Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We couldn't tell you; there are many, many different types of oral contraceptives. Your best bet is to call the place that prescribed the pills and ask them.
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a vague answer, but the different colors of pills in a pack are used to distinguish different concentrations of hormones. the exact concentration varies according to the brand and formulation. some pills are "monophasic" so all the pills are the same dose (plus a dose of sugar pills). other can be triphasic, so there are three levels of hormone (and plus sugar pills).

the pills should have come with a tiny pamphlet. if you are really bored and want to decipher it, the pamphlet will tell you the different concentrations of hormones in each color of pill.

here's an example (literature from a box of Triphasil)

quote:
Six brown tablets, each containing 0.050mg levonorgestrel and 0.030mg ethinyl estradiol; five white tablets, each containing 0.075mg levonorgestrel and 0.040mg ethinyl estradiol; ten light-yellow tablets, each containing 0.125mg levonorgestrel and 0.030mg ethinyl estradiol; and seven light green tablets -- inert.

and if you want a translation of that, you can ask your doctor. but if you want a quick run down, pills often have something to simulate progesterone and estrogen. Look for the roots -gest for progesterone clones and estr- for estrogen clones. Then you can see the concentrations of each.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Gummy--

I did get really bored, and I looked, but I could not find the break down in my pamphlet for my Ortho-Tri Cyclen. Where would I be most likely to find that information?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the literature is contained in this tiny accordion fold pamphlet that came with the pill dispenser. it's small and easy to overlook and lose, so you may have accidentally tossed it. the pamphlet is usually separate from the "warning" pamphlet (which has all the disclaimers and troubleshooting). if not, do you happen to have the original box the pills came in? or the wrappers?

I checked out http://www.orthotri-cyclen.com and they had the pamphlet in pdf format. the print was too tiny to read on my screen.
http://www.ortho-mcneil.com/products/pi/pdfs/cycltri.pdf

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out why I missed it. The information regarding the contents of the pills is on the packaging itself, not in the pamphlet.

Thanks!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.