Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » What size condom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What size condom?
artvandeleigh
Neophyte
Member # 9808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artvandeleigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what general size the penis needs to be to require a larger size condom, such as the Magnum? Just checking before going out and trying multiple brands and kinds.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some girthy phalli fit comfortably inot smaller-width condoms. And I am aware of narrower penes that prefered a looser fit. But it does depend on what the guy finds to be comfortable so long as it is not so loose that it falls off. Buy a variety pack -- rubbers are cheap, see what you and he like.
http://www.condomsexpress.com/express/condoms.html

This is a online condom retailer. They list the diameters of each of the condoms they sell. And no, you do not need to be 18 to access the site. Nor do you need to be 18 to purchase condoms from the site. if you choose to purchase condoms online, we recommend you buy them from the ST Shop (help us out). but all's fair for using CondomsExpress' product stats.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And check out these threads:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000375.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/000054.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artvandeleigh
Neophyte
Member # 9808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artvandeleigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help.

I came across another question and figured I would post it here and see if anyone replies before I start another thread.

I have read many threads and am aware of the problems with spermicide. But with those aside, will it reduce the effectiveness of the spermicide to add extra lubricant to inside of the condom? I read about the suggested procedure of using a couple of drops of, say, Astroglide inside the condom and then the desired amount on the oustide. Will adding more lube to the condom damage the spermicide, or is it even necessary to add more lube to the inside?-(wondering if spermicide itself is suitable for the lubricant on the inside) Thanks.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we don't recommend using spermicide!

spermicide kills sperm by dissolving them. it's like detergent, and it can irritate you and your partner. some people are allergic to it, and believe me, that's not a fun place ot have an allergic reaction. spermicide can also cause microscopic tears in the vaginal lining, which can actually make a woman more susceptible to infection and STDs.

get non spermicidal condoms, use a drop or two of astroglide inside (too much, and the rubber will slip off) and then use as much astroglide as you want on the outside.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artvandeleigh
Neophyte
Member # 9808

Sorry, I guess I didn't make it that clear in my last post, but I am well aware of all the valid reasons for the dislike of spermicide on the scarleteen boards, and I also know you guys do not recommend it (I have read many threads on it from the safer sex faq). But with the problems aside and not focusing on them right now, I was just wondering if adding extra astroglide to the condom would hurt the effectiveness of the spermicide?

[This message has been edited by artvandeleigh (edited 09-18-2002).]

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's the thing though...spermicidal condoms don't have enough spermicide on them to make a difference anyway. I know that probably sounds a bit odd, but it's true. There's certainly not enough on there to kill all the sperm (or even most of the sperm), but there is enough to cause a nasty allergic reaction. So I suppose the answer is kind no, the Astroglide won't mess anything up...there's not enough spermicide there to accomplish anything (other than irritation) to begin with.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 09-18-2002).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.