Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Why dont you ovulate on placebos?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why dont you ovulate on placebos?
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I was getting my prescription for pills and the doctor said something that i didnt really think about at the time. He said if you take your pills too late that you can end up ovulating which is why you should take them at the same time every day. That makes sense. My question is, if you ovulate by taking your pills late or not at all, then why dont you ovulate when on your placebos?
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great question. I lvoe answering these sorts of questions!

when you are on the pill, you artificially elevate certain levels of hormones while suppressing others. During a normal cycle (days 1 thru 14) your levels of estrogen begin to rise. They spike, triggering the release of another hormone called luteinizing hormone. This is the signal that causes ovulation.

Your pill contains a synthetic progesterone. Its role is to suppress estrogen's growth effects -- endometrium thickening and ovulation. when you take your pills, you manage to squelch the events on days 14 and 15 (ovulation and what not). Then you finish out your pack and your hormone levels fall. Think of it this was. You're dirving on a freeway, and there's an exit for ovulation, but when you're on the pill, you drive past that exit. it's kinda like that.

Progesterone keeps your uterus from shedding its lining. When you take placebos, progesterone falls and your start your period.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.