Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Why are non-latex condoms scarce?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why are non-latex condoms scarce?
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read on your site that non-latex condoms can be safe but they tend to be not as safe as latex condoms. You recommend another form of birth control to prevent pregnancy.

My partner is allergic to latex and we don't want to worry about any more children for a while. She's anti the pill or anything that has hormones in it (partially past reactions and how it may negatively impact her breastfeeding). Thus, she sees non-latex condoms as the safest bet to prevent pregnancy.

Problem is they're NOT readily available at clinics or the major pharmacies. Is that true everywhere or just in a conservative area?

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
In my experience (I live in Wisconsin, USA) non-latex condoms are more scarce, but not impossible to find. I believe that I've seen them at most of the drugstores that I've been to, but my local drugstores are very large chain stores. If the store is locally owned or smaller, it's not as likely that they'll have non-latex condoms. Perhaps you can write a letter to your local drugstores and let them know that there is a demand?

I recommend using an online store to order polyurethane condoms. Plus, online stores have a very large selection of other safer sex supplies too (non-latex gloves, etc) too!
http://www.scarleteen.com/shop/

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from a fellow Minnesotan (though in the city, not in mankato).

The Walgreens here do sell Avanti condoms, which are non-latex. The female condom, Reality, is also non-latex.

As a note, to my knowledge, studies done on non-latex condoms have shown they are just as effective as birth control as latex condoms. What the jury is out on is if they are comparable in terms of STD and STI protection.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.