Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » birthcontrol3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birthcontrol3
PiNkRoSe13
Activist
Member # 9055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PiNkRoSe13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry about asking the question about birthcontrol when it was asked before. i only did it because i posted that question in the Sex forum, and they said to go here. Anyway one more question about that, I visited that site that you posted for me to go to. But im too young to drive and its very far away, is there any way that they can like mail it to you or something?? thanks..sorry again
Posts: 49 | From: Frankfort IL USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
No, it's not possible to get the pill mailed to you. Besides, in order to qualify for taking the pill, a doctor might have to do a brief checkup on you to make sure everything's okay.

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Pink Rose, here's something to think about.

If you can't muster up the resources and resourcefullness to get birth control like the Pill, what will you do if it fails?

Because there are no guarantees in life, or with birth control, or with sex. If you cannot get yourself to a clinic or bring yourself to go to your own doctor, what will you do when:

* Your condom breaks or you miss a pill and you need emergency contraception? You only have 72 hours to get it!

* Your period is late and you need a pregnancy test.

* You fall pregnant and you want access to abortion services.

* You need the routine sexual healthcare that ALL SEXUALLY ACTIVE PEOPLE NEED.

* You have the symptoms of an STD or STI.

Sexual readiness is absolutely poitively NOT all about desire and how much you love someone. It is also about being able to be responsible for the burden having safer sex entails.

And you maybe need to think very seriously about that aspect: Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist. Please read it and think.

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, hon? If you're from Oak Lawn IL, is that the same Oak Lawn IL that's right outside Chicago? The same Chicago that has 17 Planned Parenthoods?
http://www.plannedparenthoodchicago.com/

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PiNkRoSe13
Activist
Member # 9055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PiNkRoSe13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes but how am i supposed to get there?
Posts: 49 | From: Frankfort IL USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having grown up in Chicago, I assure you that it has more means of public transport than nearly any other city I can think of.

So, you find the location nearest you, then you call them, make an appointment, and ask what sort of metra, train or bus routes go to them. Then you look up the routes and pick one, and use your two feet to walk to the station.

If you can't figure out, love, how to use a bus or train system, figuring out how to deal with sex and birth control is going to be way over your head. And if you can figure out birth control, you can certainly figure out how to use the bus.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 07-19-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AFTER (I stress the after) you have your check up with your doctor, there are reputable mail-in pharmacies that you can go to, and are much cheaper. My father uses them for all of his diabetic medication. My birth control (ortho tricylcene) comes in 3 month supplies for about $15. It is covered by our insurance. It's one of the pharmacies for the Boeing Insurance plan.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julss615
Neophyte
Member # 9334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Julss615     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

The first time I went on birth control my dad actually took me. I was old enough to have a license but didn't have one yet and it was too far to walk. I had to go back for more then one appointment so the next time I took the bus because he couldn't take me. I think it would really be best if you could confide in at least one parent so they may be able to help you. My parents didn't like that I was having sex but were happy I let them know and that I wanted to get on some kind of birth control. You may need an exam first, they will give you a pregnancy screening, & possibly a counseling session to understand why you want to get on it and explain the different options. That happened in my first appointment and then I had to make a second one for the birth control.

Posts: 1 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.