Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » the process

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the process
punkcoookies
Neophyte
Member # 7304

Icon 2 posted      Profile for punkcoookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok! i know i posted sometihng similar to this recently, but i didn't get what i wanted..... i want to know what they do to perscribe a birth controll pill to you....... what is the process?

------------------
have a day :-

Posts: 6 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tel'kella
Neophyte
Member # 6109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tel'kella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got the Pill, the doctor just did a routine physical exam, double-checked the medications I was already on (to make sure there wouldn't be a conflict), and looked at my medical history to see what I'd benefit from the most. I also had some blood work done, since I'm on it partly for medical reasons; if you just want it for birth control, the odds are that you won't need that.

It's not a long process, and there's nothing painful or invasive

Posts: 37 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to add to what Tel'kella said; sometimes doctors will also want to do a Pap smear and a physical examination of your genitalia, just to make sure that things are normal and healthy.

And it's important to continue having regular doctor visits and Pap smears while you are on the Pill, in order to make sure that there aren't any complications.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punkcoookies
Neophyte
Member # 7304

Icon 2 posted      Profile for punkcoookies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how often would i need a pap smear? and does a routine check up just include weight and height and pee sample? or are you talking bout an adult regular check up? also, even though my mom recommended birth control, i dont think i would want her to know, would planned parenthood let me get the birth control i need for really cheap?

------------------

Posts: 6 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally speaking, pap smears are a once a year deal (keep in mind though that you should go get STD screens at least twice a year too). A routine check up is basically whatever your doctor normally does when you have a full check up. Planned Parenthood clinics all deal with birth control differently...some have an overall low price, others operate on a sliding scale. You should call your local clinic and inquire about what their policy is.

And give your mom a little credit. If she has encouraged you to consider the pill, don't you think that means she's ready to deal with you actually taking it? Try talking to her about it and the fact that you want it...sometimes it can suprise you exactly how cool and understanding parents can be!

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punkcoookies
Neophyte
Member # 7304

yeah.... i've decided to talk to my mom, but i dont know if i want to go with her or have my friends take me...... i know my mom would understand if i didnt want to go with her though.... i still have to call PP and see how much the cost is though. thanx for the help....... one more question..... for ALL STD tests, do you need blood? can you use that same blood for all the tests?

------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll draw a certain amount of blood each time you go in for testing(generally just one or two tubes, in my experience) and run all the tests from those tubes. This fabulous article goes through the STD testing procedure.

And great for deciding to talk to your mom! That really is fabulous. Take whoever you want to with you to your appointment, whatever makes you the most comfortable.

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.