Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Blow jobs vs Condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blow jobs vs Condoms
moonbeam
Activist
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonbeam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading some posts and just wondering what type of condom do u use for oral sex flavoured? Also does use of a condom cut down on sensation for the boy? Can they also prevent pain that could crop up during oral sex for him?
Posts: 84 | From: Ireland.uk | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great questions, all.

I like Trustex brand (it's a UK brand as I recall, but distributed internationally at condom shops) for flavors, because they have more than you can think of. Their vanilla is my personal choice. Condom Sense also sells them.

You can also use your regular unlubricated condom and a flavored lubricant (that is still latex-safe) like Rain brand flavors.

As for sensation, it depends, really. If you don't put lube inside the condom, yes. If you don't bear in mind there IS something bewteen your mouth asnd his genitals, and thus apply a bit more pressure than you usually would, yes. otherwise, once you get tha hang of it, it's usually no biggie. Besides, it's hard to get any sensation when you're dead.

They can help prevent with pain and soreness. In addition, condoms help most men susttain erection for a longer period of time.

So, I don't think there is really a versus here, as was in your title. Condoms and fellatio are not enemies. if anything, they're darn good partners.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flavoured is good, if only because she likes the taste - tends to heighten enthusiasm some. ;p

Most unflavoured condoms, however, are latex. Latex is supposed to have a rather unpleasant taste. Never tried it myself. Also, most lubricants are meant to be kinda foul-tasting.

There are non-latex condoms available, but I forget the name of the plastic. DOH!

As far as sensation is concerned, I found it slightly harder to feel things like accidental teeth-scrapes, but it also tended to deaden things a bit. That may have been due to the fact that it was a tight fit - I'm not sure.

Its hard enough to find a flavoured condom...let alone a larger sized one.

-I DO NOT ADVOCATE ORAL SEX WITHOUT PROTECTION-
And if yer gonna smear anything at all on a condom, be sure it won't dissolve.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most lubricants, actually, try NOT to be foul-tasting, not the opposite, for reasons that may be obvious.

And latex really doesn't tatse so bad, and after a while anyway, what you're tasting is the inside of your own mouth.

It isn't actually that hard to find a WIDE variety of condoms. If you can't find a condom shop in your area, there are numerous mail-order places online.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonbeam
Activist
Member # 420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonbeam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your advice. I havent actually heared of those brands you mentioned miz scarlet but i did buy durex flavored variety today and hope fully they will do the trick! I do have a stable and open relationship with my boyfriend but i was just wonering what do you recon is the best way to introduce them into our forplay AS we have had oral unprotected b4 but we both feel it would be better safe than sorry in future but i just want to know how to approach i him when i feel we r going to have oral sex in future.
Posts: 84 | From: Ireland.uk | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Smart girl!

It sounds like since you both agree, it really won't be that big of an issue. Have fun with it! I mean, More times than not, anything that gets two people smiling or laughing during any sort of sex is a good thing.

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friend's said that she puts the condom on with her mouth, but I think you have to have a little practice to be able to do that. So practice practice practice! I think that's a way where the guy won't really argue too much, lol.

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I don't advise putting a condom on with your mouth, cute as it may be (and I don't dispute that it is). It's simply hard to get it on so it's comfortable for the person wearing it, and make sure there is enough room in the tip that way.
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks find that a combination of hands and mouth work nicely. However, I'd stay away from using teeth in any way, as they can make holes.

On a side note, Lifestyles lubricated condoms taste like the inside of a balloon. You know that powder they put in there to keep the balloon insides from sticking together? That's the flavor. Blech!

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

You know, in my next life when I am a condom manufacturer (though I'd really like to come back as something very slow, unbothered and relaxing, like a slug or a stone a few thousand miles below sea level), things will be different.

Lubricated condoms are simply one of the worst ideas anyone ever had. Most times, they are spremicidally lubricated, which is even worse. When I run my condom emipre, I will create single-use packages which join two packets together: one unlubricated condom, and one packet of lubricant.

You see anyone do that, you now know who they stole the idea from.

SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:

When I run my condom emipre, I will create single-use packages which join two packets together: one unlubricated condom, and one packet of lubricant.

I think that's a nifty idea (hmm... for some unknown reason "nifty" has been my adjective of choice lately... it sounds dorky and I like it ). Well Miz Scarlet, at least condom manufacturers are coming closer. Lifestyles makes single-use packets of lubricant, and so does KY, I believe. I always carry condoms in my purse but well, that bottle of Astroglide becomes quite cumbersome . I haven't tried the single-use packets yet, but if there was a packet of lubricant attached to every condom... imagine how simpler that would be, and safer also... now lazy people don't have any reason not to use a lubricant, after all, it's right there, they didn't even have to go buy a separate one.

[This message has been edited by SlowCookie (edited August 27, 2000).]

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just wondering about the issue of latex flavor. i haven't tried them, but how about the polyurethane condoms. do they taste as bad?

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Who said the latex tasted bad here who has actually tasted them?

Polyurethane condoms shouldn't be used for STD protection unless you are allergic to latex and have no other choice. They are not considered to be (nor have tested to be) as effective a barrier.

~sullengirl~
Neophyte
Member # 45

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~sullengirl~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw these condoms that were "tropical", tasting someone I know said that it was really good.

------------------
*~*~Lux~*~*

Posts: 34 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEO
Neophyte
Member # 1114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like the natural stuff but, for safety and oversensitivity, I will begin to use condoms and flavored ones would be a choice
Posts: 4 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tasted latex on a few occassions (discounting trips to the dentist) and **BLARGH!!!*** then again, i have hypersensitive tastebuds. then again, i should really have *not* used lubricated Durex condoms for the task (they were all i had).

true, statistucally, the polyurethane condoms are more prone to breakage, but are they more porous compared to natural latex?

which would be more likely to cause a condom tear: friction due to (inadequately lubricated) intercourse, or accidental nicks from teeth during oral sex?

------------------
i think you're special ... and i don't mean that in a short bus kind of way

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tasted latex, and I have to agree with gumdrop... eew.

I've even tried flavoured condoms, and I have to say that they taste pretty bad, as well... But I've had some pretty tasty flavoured lubricants...

The rain one in strawberry - unbelievably tasty!

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

[This message has been edited by negative*nancy (edited August 29, 2000).]

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Rain's flavored lubes are *excellent.* I agree.

Friction is more likely to cause tears than teeth, unless you have a particularly jagged tooth, or braces.

Polyurethane condoms aren't just more prone to breakage, they aren't as nonporous. They also haven't been shown in conclusive studies to prevent HIV transmission, which latex has.

Do bear in mind that condoms during oral sex aren't the only solution out there. Getting tested with your partner and staying mongamous over a period of two years is a very viable solution.

In terms of condom failure, btw, it is due more often to simnply not using them from the very beginning of contact FAR more often than to breakage.

libra_beatle
Neophyte
Member # 1156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libra_beatle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me naive,but it never even occured to me to use a condom for oral sex.I've never done it,but my 'drug of choice'(That's what I'll call him,long story )always does it for me and I would love to make him feel as good as I do.Any pointers?I know you put it in your mouth,but then what?
Posts: 13 | From: San Jose California USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one here will be able to tell you the "then what" it's both illegal and impossible- your best bet is to ask your partner what he likes, because he's the only one who will be able to tell you about his own individual responses.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.