Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Ribbed Condoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ribbed Condoms?
PinupGirl
Neophyte
Member # 2820

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinupGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's your guys take on Ribbed Condoms? Good, Bad?! Does it make it feel better for you? Are they more easily broken?
Posts: 32 | From: Sacremento, CA, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've never had a condom break at all. astroglide works wonders.

i routinely use the textured condoms. i think they're great. the sensation is subtle, but i can feel it. some people would report otherwise.

i prefer Durex's line of textured condoms. Rough Riders are okay, but not great.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zae~Zae
Activist
Member # 2946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zae~Zae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ribbed condoms are GGGGRRRREEAATTT!!!
Posts: 91 | From: South Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried them once and they did nothing for me. Zilch, Nada, Zero.

I'll stick to my strawberry flavoured Durex ones, thankyouverymuch.

And Gumdrop is right, with some lube and a little bit of know how, you can drastically reduce the chances of your condom breaking. And please, no Trojans.

You might want to check out this article.

A Simple Condom Primer

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 06-03-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Top Hun
Neophyte
Member # 4029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Hun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally think that studded condoms are the greatest. Talk about sensation...
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Hun, which studded ones? i've tried the rough riders, they're okay.

Durex makes Intense Feeling studded condoms. I've never tried them.

I have tried Durex's Ultimate Feeling (thin and ribbed) and High Sensation (regular ribbed). I think I like Ultimate Feeling best.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin, can you actually taste the Durex flavored condoms? I have the Colors&Scents box and none of the condoms taste like strawberry, orange, or banana (I haven't tried banana yet but I heard banana-flavored anything is awful). The condoms look and taste like balloons to me. Not very yummie.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes banana is AWFUL. Nasty. Just the smell of it makes me want to puke!! blah!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

my sister gave me two packs of condoms (a souvenir from Thailand), one was a pack of strawberry (mmm, quite nice) and the other was a variety pack: banana, liquorice and tangerine. let's just say tangerine's the only one that's been used.

------------------
i use angst

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I just tried these condoms the other day.

They felt different but really didnt do anything. Personally I didnt mind them at all, but I think that I liked the ones that werent ribbed better.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StephanieNatalia
Neophyte
Member # 4544

Icon 7 posted      Profile for StephanieNatalia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ribbed condoms are the greatest!!I like the cinnamon and chocolate flavoued ones best!

------------------
Love and kisses,
StephanieNatalia

Posts: 3 | From: Honolulu,Hawaii,USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried studded ones today: BIG THUMBS UP from my girlfriend. She loved 'em (Durex studded, whatever they're called...).

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
( Tr. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." )

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cookie, sweetie ... Those durex colors & scents are just that, not flavoured. I made the exact same mistake and it tastes like rubber. They're not flavoured. Really.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 12 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't flavored? You mean everything I've ever believed in was a lie? Oh Blue Smurfy, why must you always enlighten me with your philosophical wisdom?

I shall sniff them next time.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!! I'm sorry you had to hear it from me hun ...

But yeah, i've never known them to be flavoured tho hehe But as soon as i open the package i could smell them. And they're so darn colourful ... I couldn't help but laugh! They smell great, but taste like latex ... Ew.

(My mom bought me a box of banana flav. condoms from a sex fair thing she went to, and they were gross. But they were actually supposed to be flavoured ... I read the box that time lol)

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 07-17-2001).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 5 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will someone please tell me what the point of durex colors & scents is? i mean, ok. colors are cool. but why would anyone want randomly smelly condoms that don't taste like anything?

i don't get it.

en

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Durex also makes some condoms marketed under the name "Emotions" over here, and they are just scented, too (and it says "sensually scented" eh?).

Em, I don't really know what the purpose is here either, really....maybe soem people find the smell of latex alone really icky, I really don't know. I prefer smell and taste combined, really.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniL
Neophyte
Member # 4464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that most of the members of this board are "anti-Trojan" (due to the statistics of breakage and all that bad stuff), but they seem to be the only ones to work for my boyfriend and me. I am on the pill and we use condoms. We've tried a few different brands, but there are some (Durex - ultra sensitive and Lifestyles - something.. purple box I think) that just feel like he's wearing 18,000 layers of rubber. No feeling at all. Trojans seem to be the best... we just bought the ribbed/lubricated ones, best so far. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks this on the board. I hope I'm not alone!

~Jenni

Posts: 22 | From: H*ton, NY | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jenni, you should keep on trying condom brands - i promise you will be able to find other ones you like! check out kimono microthins. everyone loves them, and although they don't carry them at drugstores, they have them at whole foods market or bread & circus - any healthy food store.

if you live near a condom store and you're old enough to go there, you could try crown or beyond seven. both are thinner than any trojans (which actually measure rather thick).

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.