Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Dental Dams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental Dams
strawberrilove
Neophyte
Member # 3204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strawberrilove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please explain to me exactly how to use a dental dam? Thanks! Much appreciated!
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a peice of latex (like condoms) and it covers the females vulvua area when somebody performs oral sex on a women. It helps protect against STDs. People can also cut the end of a condom and use that in place of a dental dam.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not mistaken, they can also be used as protection for anal activities... right...?
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You betcha Dzuumond!

They work very well if you apply some waterbased lube on the side that comes into the contact with the receiver.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can also use plastic wrap, like saran wrap. what you do is hold it against the woman's vulva and go at it. make sure not to flip it over, because that would defeat the purpose.

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and while we're doing the martha-stewart-of-safer-sex-supplies thing, let me state for the record that dental dams can be made in a pinch by cutting the tip off of a latex condom and then cutting the remaining cylindrical piece lengthwise. ta-da! large rectangular piece of latex! also, I've heard from a few people that cutting the thumb and surrounding area off of a latex glove and using that also works -- the thumb piece creates a... well, use your imagination, I guess.

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall hearing that microwaveable saran wrap is a bad idea. Perhaps the pores in the plastic are too large? Maybe someone else knows
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here Rizzo, go to this website, and it tells you about dental dams to microwavable saran wrap.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000167.html

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about anyone else but I always have trouble finding dental dams in stores. Maybe it's just where I live. I've always just cut off the tip of a condom and then cut it length wise, works just as good!

------------------
Lil Siren

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would it taste like? Rubber?
Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dams by themselves taste like condoms by themselves, ultimately.

But many dams are flavored, and some people use plain dams with flavored lube.

And Siren, that indeed is a problem: most pharmacies don't carry them, and guess how sexist that is? Uh huh. If you're feeling proactive, bring in a list of what STIs and STDs can be contracted via female oral sex and tell the owner of your drugstore you think it'd be great if they carried them, especially if they carry condoms already.

If not, make one out of an unlubricated condom or use plastic wrap, and Rizzo, I'm afraid never even having owned a microwave, and being someone who doesn't even go to big grocery stores, I didn't even know they had such a thing, but I'd advise plain old plastic wrap for now.

I'd guess, as you did, that anything meant to be microwaved is designed differently.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.